Looking for Inline 120v AC to 5V DC USB Adapter

Josh from Renaissance

Joined Apr 4, 2016
I work for a company that makes custom lighting. We are looking to integrate stand alone USB receptacles that can be wired in directly to 110-120v AC. I have worked with 12v DC systems for personal solar projects, but I am having issues finding finding inline Adapters for AC.

I know the product exists, because I have seen them integrated into lamps before.

So far what I have found is

http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/product/5534_usb-adapter-for-inline-wiring-to-lamp-power

and what would be ideal is a 110-120v AC version of this. If the rectifier and transformer could be in a box with a mountable female USB on the the other side that would be amazing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-to-5...706671?hash=item28150a942f:g:TKQAAOSwwE5WbvTz

If anyone knows where I can find this, or can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I work for a company that makes custom lighting. We are looking to integrate stand alone USB receptacles that can be wired in directly to 110-120v AC. I have worked with 12v DC systems for personal solar projects, but I am having issues finding finding inline Adapters for AC.

I know the product exists, because I have seen them integrated into lamps before.

So far what I have found is

http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/product/5534_usb-adapter-for-inline-wiring-to-lamp-power

and what would be ideal is a 110-120v AC version of this. If the rectifier and transformer could be in a box with a mountable female USB on the the other side that would be amazing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-to-5...706671?hash=item28150a942f:g:TKQAAOSwwE5WbvTz

If anyone knows where I can find this, or can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
The first link you posted has an AC input.

Josh from Renaissance

Joined Apr 4, 2016
It does have AC input, but the USB doesn't really have any way for us to mount it ... and they are $20 a piece.
that would be great for a personal project, but for my company we would not be able to make that one work.

That is the only one I have found like it. ( it could be I'm just not searching the right parameters, but I spend a few hours searching everything I cold think of). I'm looking for that kind of adapter in the first link, but with some mounting like the second link. Hopefully cheaper than the first link too.

ddukeh

Joined Jun 19, 2018
I am new to this group, and noticed this thread ended with no real answers. I, too, am searching for something of this nature for the lamps and home accessories I build for my Etsy shop. Hard wire AC input with a mountable USB port.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am new to this group, and noticed this thread ended with no real answers. I, too, am searching for something of this nature for the lamps and home accessories I build for my Etsy shop. Hard wire AC input with a mountable USB port.
Threads don't often seem to just end. look around and you can find some with a hundred posts. And some threads seem to go on forever.

ddukeh

Joined Jun 19, 2018
agreed, but in this case, I don't notice any answer to the original query, which I thought was odd. And I've been unable to locate any that are related?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There is a lot more to a decent USB power adapter than just a transformer. And unfortunately the thing that you are seeking is not a consumer electronics item, but an assembly that only an OEM would buy to include in a product. A general on-line search will get you at least 10,000 hits, and that will indeed waste a lot of your time. Possibly DigiKey would have what you want with adequate quality to avoid damaging whatever is connected to your product..
Another option is to use something that you find and a short extension cable with a USB socket that mounts as you want it to mount. I have seen wall-wart devices with the line plug pins curt short and wires soldered on, and the joints buried with drops of epoxy. Very "hokey" but the things did work. Also rather labor intensive, that may be an issue as well.

aeksco

Joined Jul 2, 2018
I'm got similar requirements - accept 110-120V AC input and produce steady smart-phone worthy 5V 2.4 - 3A output.

I did some research on AliBaba for `wall charger circuit` and came up with a few results, the most promising of which is below:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.49.72fa1ff2bbqTBJ

Specs:
1.Input:100-240Vac 50-60hz
2.Output:5V 3A- 4.8A (can choose)
3.PCB Material: FR-4,Fire-proof level 94V-0, ROHS.
4.USB Copper material ,By 24 hours salt spray test.
5.Transformer :Copper wire, Triple insulated wire. Conforms to CE/EN-60950 safety standards,
6.The input and output safety isolation voltage is 3KV / 60 seconds
7.Certification test standards: CE/EMC/LVD/EN 55022,EN61000, EN55024,EN60950.

If your design doesn't require USB ports you might be able to the supplier to produce you a version without them. Alternatively your design could expose the ports as they're laid out on this PCB, or you could use a USB extension cable to get your ports where you need them.

You can find pretty much everything on AliBaba. Try checking for similar components that are ready to go, or connect a manufacturer that makes a product that incorporates similar components.

If the part I found above doesn't satisfy your requirements I'd reach out to a manufacturer of wall outlet USB chargers and see if they can sell you the circuits they use in their product - usually factories are amenable to this, or they're happy to put you in touch with the company _they_ get the part from.

Hope this helps, good luck!

brymc81

Joined Apr 26, 2021
I'm got similar requirements - accept 110-120V AC input and produce steady smart-phone worthy 5V 2.4 - 3A output.

I did some research on AliBaba for `wall charger circuit` and came up with a few results, the most promising of which is below:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.49.72fa1ff2bbqTBJ

Specs:
1.Input:100-240Vac 50-60hz
2.Output:5V 3A- 4.8A (can choose)
3.PCB Material: FR-4,Fire-proof level 94V-0, ROHS.
4.USB Copper material ,By 24 hours salt spray test.
5.Transformer :Copper wire, Triple insulated wire. Conforms to CE/EN-60950 safety standards,
6.The input and output safety isolation voltage is 3KV / 60 seconds
7.Certification test standards: CE/EMC/LVD/EN 55022,EN61000, EN55024,EN60950.

If your design doesn't require USB ports you might be able to the supplier to produce you a version without them. Alternatively your design could expose the ports as they're laid out on this PCB, or you could use a USB extension cable to get your ports where you need them.

You can find pretty much everything on AliBaba. Try checking for similar components that are ready to go, or connect a manufacturer that makes a product that incorporates similar components.

If the part I found above doesn't satisfy your requirements I'd reach out to a manufacturer of wall outlet USB chargers and see if they can sell you the circuits they use in their product - usually factories are amenable to this, or they're happy to put you in touch with the company _they_ get the part from.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Ok this is getting close for me on a simple project:
I wonder if this little PCB can be stuffed into an outdoor light junction box (like for flood lights), so a USB can share power from the light connection.

Working on a clean way to power a weatherproof USB camera into an outdoor flood light box. Every other solution has been either sloppy, not the lights I want, or not weather resistant enough for my liking.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You need to be aware of the intended application of the USB supply, some are for battery charging application and the power is noisy. That will matter a lot for a camera application.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The USB port on my laptop will not charge my phone or flashlight. And a battery will not mind a fair amount of ripple in the charging voltage. that is why I made my comment. charging and powering are quite different things. And none of the chargers linked gave any clue a to the ripple on the output, although one did imply that it was able to verify what it was connected to.

Last edited: