Looking for info about this relay

Courtcrawler

Joined Oct 17, 2016
I picked up 7 of these relays at a swap meet and am looking for any info I can get about them, specifically:
1. Coil voltage, and
2. A socket that they'll fit into.
I've combed the internet over three times and can find nothing. Any info you may provide will be welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
FWIW the imaged unit is of the hermetically sealed, aircraft style -- The nominal coil EMF specification is likely 24 Vdc - 28 Vdc (No guarantees!)

Hope this is somewhat helpful...

Best regards
HP:)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Must be old. Even Potter&Brumfield doesn't know what they are.
Potted? Must be aircraft.
So, give it some DC. Crank the voltage up until it clicks and assume the rated voltage is about 25% higher.
Then go try to find a P-39 to scavenge a socket.:D

Courtcrawler

Joined Oct 17, 2016
Thank you for your replies. I've determined through experiment that the coil voltage is somewhere north of 60VDC. I have a variable 0-120 VAC supply so now I'm building a filtered rectifier to use with it that can supply higher DC voltages. I don't have a particular use in mind for the relays, that'll kind of depend on the coil voltage. I got them as part of a big box of odd relays for $5 for the lot. I like building complex and totally unnecessary control circuits so I'll figure out a way to incorporate these into something.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Double check the wattage (current times voltage) to be sure it isn't designed for something really strange like 400 Hz.
Something that size should click on less than 1 watt.

Courtcrawler

Joined Oct 17, 2016
DL324, thanks for reposting the photos in a form that actually show up.
#12, I looked in my salvaged parts box for a P-39 but didn't find one. I didn't look very hard though because I'm pretty sure I'd know it if I had one. :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
#12, thanks for the hint about frequency. I'll check into that as well.
I've heard that certain airplane systems work at 400 Hz. Pretty amazing stuff. You can hold and operate a 5 HP saw in your hands if it runs on 400 Hz! Seems like an excellent way to reduce weight in servo motors on an airplane.

ps, A P-39 is a WWI airplane.:D

Courtcrawler

Joined Oct 17, 2016
Actually, the Bell P-39 Airacobra is a WWII airplane, but who's counting?
I like your 400 Hz idea and I'll have to figure out a way to test it. I'll keep you in the loop.

Carl

Courtcrawler

Joined Oct 17, 2016
So, a little bit of research has lead me to believe that these relays could very well operate on 115 VAC at 400 Hz. I'll be following up on that.

Carl

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Actually, the Bell P-39 Airacobra is a WWII airplane, but who's counting?
I like your 400 Hz idea and I'll have to figure out a way to test it. I'll keep you in the loop.

Carl
Darn. I tried to think of a WWI airplane you could get a relay socket out of.:oops:
Testing with 400 Hz? I use a signal generator and a massive Fender guitar amplifier.;)