Looking for HV AC Amplifier for Biology Experiment

Charles Curt 1

Joined Oct 16, 2019
Hi,

I have a biology device that we wish to do a test on. We are currently using a 700Vpp 45kHz signal to perform the function but wish to determine if other values are better.

I am trying to find (without luck) an AC to AC amplifier could hook up to a waveform generator to allow me to create a test that output the following specs:
0 - 1kV
0 - a few MHz

Another alternative would be to get an AC generator with those specs but I also haven't found those.

There is basically no load since it is a field-effect device so it doesn't need high power. I would like to buy something off the shelf, anyone know a device that is close to this? If not I'll go the custom route if that's the case can anyone suggest something off the shelf that solves any part of this?

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
The "few MHz" is the challenge. Apex Microtechnology has a HV op amp with the voltage you need and 28 MHz unity gain bandwidth. Here is a link:.Apex PA-99 link I used 200 of their PA-89 with +/-400V and full power bandwidth of 5-10KHz in an adaptive optics system. They make good stuff and well specified. Sorry, I don't know of any full-up amplifiers.

Charles Curt 1

Joined Oct 16, 2019
Wow, that thing's a beast, thanks for the suggestion. So another thing I got out of your comment is I should lower that frequency spec and search again.

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Wow, that thing's a beast, thanks for the suggestion. So another thing I got out of your comment is I should lower that frequency spec and search again.
If you need it, you need it. However, you don't want to over-spec either the output voltage or the frequency. You are getting into a very specialized area. But you already know it! A company called Trek makes HV and fairly high bandwidth but maybe not as fast as you need. Link: Trek

Charles Curt 1

Joined Oct 16, 2019
If you need it, you need it. However, you don't want to over-spec either the output voltage or the frequency. You are getting into a very specialized area. But you already know it! A company called Trek makes HV and fairly high bandwidth but maybe not as fast as you need. Link: Trek
Thanks for your replies, it isn't that we "need" it but more of we don't know what the ideal values are to design a fixed board for it. So the larger the range the better. I just emailed that company for a quote, thank you so much.

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
PA-99, $846.10, from digikey.com, 18 in stock, Link Or are you looking at a Trek amplfier? If looking at the PA-99, Apex has an evaluation kit and you won't have to design a board to run one. Also, they have a Spice model.

Last edited: