Looking for help with part identification

joeaudet

Joined Nov 23, 2017
Hello,
I am trying to repair a circuit board where the schematic is proprietary and the MFG will not release it to me. I am hoping someone might be able to help me identify what the part in question is (type / family) so that I can go about trying track down a replacement. This is coming from a Cisco WLC2504 wireless controller. Every other part looks ok. The initial damage was the unit was dropped while plugged in.

Thank you
Joe
InkedIMG_1688_LI.jpg InkedIMG_1695_LI.jpg

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It looks like a ferrite bead filter. All it is is a piece of ferrite with wire threaded though the holes. The one in the picture looks like it has two turns of wire thraeded through it.. There is not much to fail on them unless the ferrite has been crushed.

Les.

joeaudet

Joined Nov 23, 2017
Hey guys - thanks for the quick responses. No writing on it. There is a single wire loop coming out of the bottom at a different angle then the two at the top. I was confused because the white material that came from the bottom looked like when a cap pops. Any other way to tell the value?

Thanks!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hey guys - thanks for the quick responses. No writing on it. There is a single wire loop coming out of the bottom at a different angle then the two at the top. I was confused because the white material that came from the bottom looked like when a cap pops. Any other way to tell the value?

Thanks!
Look for a mfg logo, color code (paint color on sides and ends (indicates exact type of ferrite) and the size (height, diameter and hole pattern/diameter of holes). Then start searching the manufacturers website. Note that the ferrite manufacturer only makes the core, the designer specifies the turns/wraps of copper to dial in the inductance needed.

joeaudet

Joined Nov 23, 2017
Absolutely no markings whatsoever on this unit. I have narrowed it down to 6mm diameter x 10mm tall, 6 hole pattern. I cannot find one with the wire wound the right pattern just yet. Is it possible if I am careful to re-wind one that I found?

Thanks

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Absolutely no markings whatsoever on this unit. I have narrowed it down to 6mm diameter x 10mm tall, 6 hole pattern. I cannot find one with the wire wound the right pattern just yet. Is it possible if I am careful to re-wind one that I found?

Thanks
Ferrite are made in high temperature ovens - sintering ceramic powders together into the final net shape of the inductor core you have. Inductors like this can only fail if, the enamel (thin polymer) insulation on the magnet wire fails. Unlikely in your case because the 6-hole pattern for the magnet wire prevents the copper of one winding from touching another winding so magnet wire is not even needed (the ferrite is magnetic (magnetizable) but not conductive.

Even if the core is physically cracked, there is little performance degradation in these devices.

I think you should look elsewhere for the cause of the dead board. Not all dead components are visibly impacted.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It is a 6 hole ferrite bead with a solid wire through it.
It is probabbly used as a RF choke in the powerline.
When you are measuring about 0 Ohms between the pins, the part should be OK.

Bertus