Looking for data on WX-DC12003

doesntcompute

Joined Jan 10, 2022
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, so hello everyone.
I came across and am using a little SMPS module known as WX-DC12003 that can be found on AliExpress and Alibaba for less than $.80.
So far, it's working well for my use case, except that it's not a "part" that can be ordered on Mouser and other electronics suppliers.
It makes it difficult to order assembled PCBs from China, since they don't know how to source it.
I've tried a bit of reverse engineering and it seems that the implementation closely follows the datasheet for the PSR they use.
I even have counted the loops in the transformer, but I can't tell what's the wire gauge or the type of case it's in... And of course, there are no markings on the ceramic capacitor. So my understanding is somewhat incomplete.
Does anybody have information about that module, maybe some schematics with BOM? Or maybe you know who manufactures them?
Alternatively, if you're using this type of modules in your designs, how do you get your favorite PCB supplier to order them and from where?

Thanks for your help!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
This post is a great example of the problems coming from dealing with marketers of stuff. The isolation of creator from consumer. The part number has no meaning toother than the seller and thus is of no value in getting more of the product from other sources. And reverse engineering is not likely to succeed because the properties of the components are unknown.

doesntcompute

Joined Jan 10, 2022
Well, I'm glad you found my post interesting insofar as it goes to strengthen your convictions.
I, on the other hand, have learnt nothing new or constructive from your reply.
If you're a creator, you have achieved little more than alienate a new consumer... Sorry not everyone is as gifted as you.
Maybe you have nothing new to create lately and you've decided to waste your precious time (and mine) with some negative feedback to a fresh member?
Wouldn't it have been more useful to educate me with some alternatives that I could actually use, instead of implying that I'm on a path to failure?
Or, as Yoda so eloquently put it: "always with you what cannot be done"...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Well, I'm glad you found my post interesting insofar as it goes to strengthen your convictions.
I, on the other hand, have learnt nothing new or constructive from your reply.
If you're a creator, you have achieved little more than alienate a new consumer... Sorry not everyone is as gifted as you.
Maybe you have nothing new to create lately and you've decided to waste your precious time (and mine) with some negative feedback to a fresh member?
Wouldn't it have been more useful to educate me with some alternatives that I could actually use, instead of implying that I'm on a path to failure?
Or, as Yoda so eloquently put it: "always with you what cannot be done"...
I understand you’re frustration, but I think you might want to reread @MisterBill2’s reply to your post.

It was actually sympathetic. While he couldn’t offer any insight into the solution to your problem, he was commenting on how you—and many others—suffer from the opaque marketing of subsystems.

It’s completely true that it didn’t advance your project, but your acerbic reply was really off base. @MisterBill2 is a very helpful regular in these forums, he sends a lot of his time offering help to others when he can, Part of this community is discussion that isn’t always laser focused on the thread starter‘s main topic.

I do hope you get some help here, but please try to be a bit more simpatico and if you have to say something critical try to do it constructively.

[EDIT: typo repair[

doesntcompute

Joined Jan 10, 2022
@MisterBill2
No offence intended, I guess my reaction also served little to advancing the discussion.

I do hope you get some help here, but please try to be a bit more simpatico and if you have to say something critical try to do it constructively.
@Yaakov
I couldn't agree more, that's why I turned to this forum: to try to find constructive solutions - beyond looking for help here, I'm also a contributor on software forums where I regularly help people with practical answers to their problems.
I just hoped someone would take an interest in the subject of this thread and shine some light on how to take me out of that opaque subsystem :)
And look, to be honest, who isn't using these modules? A quick search on Google reveals 100s of home projects featuring this little marvel. Someone with experience could probably tell me: "hey, this is to how we do it in the industry. Here's a schematics that'll sort you out in terms of power characteristics and footprint. Good luck". At least, that's what we do with software...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Given the ubiquity of this module perhaps it is worth seeing if you can spearhead an open source hardware effort to replicate it. Maybe someone like Sparkfun or AdaFruit would be interested, or some group that is already producing hardware.

I suspect that there are people who knowe the ”lore” for implementing this circuit, particularly for winding the transformer. An open source version could be really helpful it seems.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Mypost was not intended at all to be critical of the poster (TS). It was an explanation of the risks involved.
The actual design of a switcher power supply is quite complex because everything interacts, including the circuit board traces, which form both series reactance and inductive couplings. This has been stated by two of the very well known design masters, Williams and Pease. (Their contributions were AWESOME).
So while these modules can be useful for many, there is no assistance available nor any promise of repeated availability.
There are, on the websites of various semiconductor manufacturers, all sorts of design aids and application information, all available for free because they want their products to be easy to use in future products and applications.

doesntcompute

Joined Jan 10, 2022
Given the ubiquity of this module perhaps it is worth seeing if you can spearhead an open source hardware effort to replicate it. Maybe someone like Sparkfun or AdaFruit would be interested, or some group that is already producing hardware.

I suspect that there are people who knowe the ”lore” for implementing this circuit, particularly for winding the transformer. An open source version could be really helpful it seems.
I love the idea, it makes a lot of sense.
I'll try to publish what I'll find and see if anybody can tackle the hard parts - as you said, the transformer.
As an open source, it could actually become quite a powerful tool in the toolbox!