Looking for an affordable Logic Analyzer

Fabian Barraez

Joined Mar 17, 2017
Hello people!

I'm really starting to like embedded systems, my work as an embedded systems engineer is only giving me more reasons to buy more hardware to play with it. So I decide to start to invest on tools to let me develop better my skills and to learn more about this.

One thing that comes to my field now is that I will need to deadl with communication protocols such as I2C, SPI, UART and so on.

I do not have a big budget so I was looking for an affordable logic analyzer, I think it would be a great tool to start and to debug my code when I write code for SPI or I2C.

The first product that I found is this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-saleae...rentrq:331604d11630ab6ae1a22656fffe9d2b|iid:1

I know that is not an original product, but if you know any other product that is near to that price and that would have a good perfomance in all terms, at least I will appreciate your experience on this field.

I will then go for an Scope, but I will see how good I become on this Embedded Systems world. I do not have a big budget to spend. Thank you for your time and I will read your recommendations.

Regards,

Wuerstchenhund

Joined Aug 31, 2017
There are lots of Salae clones but you're not allowed to use the original software with them, which also would be unfair. There is other software but how good it is I don't know.

The other alternative are hardware Logic Analyzers like the HP 16500A or the 1661A (or the Tek TLA Series) which can be bought for little money these days. Just make sure you get the pods (cable and connectors) with it as they alone fetch quite a bit of money.

Even a MSO doesn't have to be expensive: there's the HP 54645D and its successor Agilent 54622D which often go for little money. These are digital scopes using HP's MegaZoom ASIC to allow high update rates, they are easy to use and despite their age pretty fast.

There are quite a few options.