looking for a sunlight-readable graphic display

BasicPoke

Joined Apr 30, 2013
Hello, I am looking for a sunlight-readable graphic display, about 3" x 2", that will be used in a battery-powered device outdoors anywhere in North America. I really like the look of e-paper but am concerned about the low temperature performance since the lowest rated temp that I have seen is -25°C (-13°F). I am concerned about the power consumption of OLED. Any recommendations on a readily-available display? Also I would like to test the display without having to develop drive circuitry and code. What demo kits are available that will display a changing image?
Thanks a lot for any ideas,
Ron

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Do you need to display "graphics" or actual images?
Cost?
SPI/I2C/Serial/Parallel 8/24bit control?
Required power consumption?
,etc...

BasicPoke

Joined Apr 30, 2013
Do you need to display "graphics" or actual images?
Cost?
SPI/I2C/Serial/Parallel 8/24bit control?
Required power consumption?
,etc...
In generally I want to display graphics, not pre-made images. All I mean is that I need dot-matrix, not a character display. If a demo kit only displayed images, that is fine.
Cost is not critical.
Interface--Not critical but SPI, I2C, or some other serial protocol sounds reasonable.
Power consumption--I do not have a figure in mind, but this is a battery-powered device.
We will probably need a backlight.
I do not have any other constraints that I can think of, except -40 to 80°C operation would be nice.
Ron

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
-40°C will be very hard even with industrial LCDs. When my company did HMI panels the only ones we could find would work down to -30 and we had to do a lot of talking to the manufacturers to find ones that can at least be stored at -40.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Is monochrome good enough?

If so, this is the lowest power, highest contrast display you will likely find:
http://www.mouser.in/ProductDetail/Sharp-Microelectronics/LS027B7DH01/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt7dcPGmvnkBvr0kOzcjB9yDS5dEqFJgaU=

Not cheap at $33.87. :(

What you get for that money is a display that looks much like printing on paper and will run on a coin cell for months. It uses an SPI interface.

edit: Operating temperature -20 to 70 deg C.
Operating temperature is temperature that guarantees operation only. For contrast, response speed, and other display quality, module is evaluated at Ta=+25 deg C.

Last edited: