Looking for a Sensor

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey Guys.
I need a little info on choosing a Sensor.
I am looking for something that could detect Diesel and Petrol Vapor in the air.
Where I work there a lot of washing going on using diesel and petrol.
The guys washes diesel / petrol engines (using pressure air gun) that comes in for overhaul or repair.

My task is to use a sensor that can detect diesel / petrol vapor in the workshop and switch on and off the ventilation / exhaust fans.
The guys are tired of switching it on and off manually cause most of the time they forgot to switch it on until the place becomes too difficult to breath.

Any ideas on the sensor any one ?

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
Could the task be solved in a low tech manner?
How is the workplace with "air guns" designed?
Can a PIR motion sensor, air flow to the gun or a mechanical contact on where to park the gun when not in use, be an option?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Could the task be solved in a low tech manner?
How is the workplace with "air guns" designed?
Can a PIR motion sensor, air flow to the gun or a mechanical contact on where to park the gun when not in use, be an option?
Nope.
This is the only way.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Attach the vent fan to the light switch or something. The last thing you want is gasoline fumes building up then someone turning on an open electrical motor. The fan needs to be running long before the fumes start to pile up.

I can tell you from experience that gasoline is one of those things that you become nose blind to pretty quickly. After working around it for a while you cannot even smell the fumes even though they are building up.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
What about using a switch to control a solenoid valve dedicated to the air lines for the pressure washer. The same switch would also turn on the vent fans at the same time. That way only one thing would need to be turned on and the vent wouldn't run constantly or the washing couldn't be done without the vent.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hey Guys.
I need a little info on choosing a Sensor.
I am looking for something that could detect Diesel and Petrol Vapor in the air.
Where I work there a lot of washing going on using diesel and petrol.
The guys washes diesel / petrol engines (using pressure air gun) that comes in for overhaul or repair.

My task is to use a sensor that can detect diesel / petrol vapor in the workshop and switch on and off the ventilation / exhaust fans.
The guys are tired of switching it on and off manually cause most of the time they forgot to switch it on until the place becomes too difficult to breath.

Any ideas on the sensor any one ?
Yes, I have a patent on a diesel fuel vapr detector using a "Figaro" gas sensor module. They make a lot of different ones so you will need to go to their website and decide the amount of vapor that you need to detect. And as long as you are not using it to detect that a fuel injector line is primed you are not close to patent infringement at all. Your project sounds a lot like what the sensors are intended to be used for. So good luck on the project.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yes, I have a patent on a diesel fuel vapr detector using a "Figaro" gas sensor module. They make a lot of different ones so you will need to go to their website and decide the amount of vapor that you need to detect. And as long as you are not using it to detect that a fuel injector line is primed you are not close to patent infringement at all. Your project sounds a lot like what the sensors are intended to be used for. So good luck on the project.
Thanks.
I will look into it.