Looking for a rotary position sensor

Santhakumar

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Hi ,

I have been looking for rotary position sensing device (might be angle measuring Device)
I Don't want to use any magnet (Hall effect sensors)..so help me with Inductive or capacitive angle measuring device if available.

-Santhakumar.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi ,

I have been looking for rotary position sensing device (might be angle measuring Device)
I Don't want to use any magnet (Hall effect sensors)..so help me with Inductive or capacitive angle measuring device if available.

-Santhakumar.
A potentiometer with a linear-taper makes a great and simple angle measuring device. Simply connect the two static legs to positive and ground reference - then measure the wiper pin to get your angle as the pot is turned. The higher the pot quality, the better performance is possible.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi ,

-Santhakumar.
Through how many degrees of rotation and with what precision?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
At least 180 degrees.I want it to be contactless. Precision can be 5 degrees
The capacitative sensors are contactless and well more accurate than 5°. Since you mention "angle measuring device" a simple accelerometer will give angles relative to Earth well within your 5° criterion. It is a simple calculation to find the angle between two legs, given that data (assuming 2 dimension).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One problem with incremental encoders is they need to be referenced at power on, the absolute are typically 12bit with up to 16bit available.
The CUI John mentions have absolute as well as incremental.
This is a simple BCD etc.
upload_2016-8-24_12-26-32.png