Looking for a Nixie clock kit that uses IN-1 tubes

xtal_01

Joined May 1, 2016
Hey!

I an definitely not an electronics guy ... I just dabble.

I have wanted a nixie clock for a long time, just didn't want to shovel out the $'s fro one ... or get one that has digits so small I can't see them.

I recently saw that IN-1 tubes have really come down in price (must be a glut of them on the market).

Problem I don't see a clock kit for them.

Building a PC board is beyond what I want to get into right now.

I don't mind soldering together a kit ... or even buying a built board.

I would like something with 6 tubes ... nothing fancy ... just push buttons to set the time (I see some even have remotes or use wifi).

Any suggestions on a kit or board for these tubes?

Thanks .... Mike

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I went with IV-22 because nixies were so expensive at the time- While my clock will have 6 digits, only 4 fit on the breadboard right now- but it's enough to test and complete the logic.

1587415866545.png

That's a little smaller than actual size.

xtal_01

Joined May 1, 2016
I went with IV-22 because nixies were so expensive at the time- While my clock will have 6 digits, only 4 fit on the breadboard right now- but it's enough to test and complete the logic.

View attachment 204905

That's a little smaller than actual size.
Love the clock! This is just a toy and I don't want to spend toooooo much. The IN-1 tubes are only about $2.50 each now ..... so $15 for tubes and say $50 for a kit ... anything less than $75 and I would be happy.

Thanks ....

Toughtool

Joined Aug 11, 2008
Here is a circuit you may consider building on a perf board. The 74141's are no longer available but the Russians still produce a replacement decoder/driver. I bought some from Ebay but haven't built the clock yet. Although they were shipped from Tampa FL, they had all kinds of Russian stamps on the package. Here is an Amazon.com link.

https://www.amazon.com/K155ID1-SN74...dchild=1&keywords=74141&qid=1587444674&sr=8-3

Last edited:

xtal_01

Joined May 1, 2016
Here is a circuit you may consider building on a perf board. The 74141's are no longer available but the Russians still produce a replacement decoder/driver. I bought some from Ebay but haven't built the clock yet. Although they were shipped from Tampa FL, they had all kinds of Russian stamps on the package. Here is an Amazon.com link.

https://www.amazon.com/K155ID1-SN74...dchild=1&keywords=74141&qid=1587444674&sr=8-3
This might be doable even for a guy like myself. I will have to take a good look at it tomorrow (almost 1:30 AM here .. finishing up some "real" work).

I did contact the guy in Germany about the clock above. I asked if he had a board, kit or even a complete clock. He replied "I'm sorry, no" ... hmmmm ... I was hoping he even had just a board I could buy.

Thanks!