Looking for a Linux Live! safe DL

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
@joeyd999

The title says it all, I need a safe clean copy to make a boot-able DVD, and free is good. Anyone have a link they would care to share? We all know how safe the internet is to get free stuff, right?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I would prefer Cinnamon. I'm trying to wake up a very old computer before I give back to maker space (returning it in better shape than I got it).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
And I burned a DVD using Win 7 built in .iso to DVD Burner, no joy, looks like I am going to have to use a 3rd party program to make a bootable DVD, any suggestions?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm trying it out now, It tried to install a lot ofPUP programs, so after it is finished I'll be going through remove programs in the control panel.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welp, it is done. Linux Mint V19.2 (Code name 32 byte version successfully installed.Turn out while this laptop is in excellent condition, it is a relic, XP is the last M$ OS that can run on it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I was quite fond of it during its heyday. The 120Gig limit on Win 98SE was nuts. I was Glad I skipped win 2K. I would love to learn Linux using a large thumb drive as the only storage device. Smaller than a laptop, and that's for sure. Some folks at Maker space have tried using a rasberry Pi/Linux for a home brewed laptop.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hello,

You could try cdburnerXP:
https://cdburnerxp.se/

Bertus
While the basic software is useful, it comes with a plethora of other software that is questionable at best and malware at worst. My Firefox browser is still recovering from an accidental install of web buddy (I think that was its name), as a result I have switched from Avast to Malware bytes. So, is there any other ISO burners that don't come with the crap. Malware Bytes won't let me install the package again on the second try, Avast had no problem with it.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I had a Knoppix live CD... It was brilliant... I never even installed it... Just ran nice from the CD... I have been looking for it as I want it on my VM machine... I have cinnamon, but I got used to Knoppix….

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I prefer the USB memory stick option, If you want to try it let me know. That old slow 32 bit machine I was working on couldn't handle it. I also had to use a old version of Linux (same revision, but 32 bit).