Looking for a job?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"In addition, as this is a live-in role, you will be provided with accommodation, for which your salary will be abated."

There's a caveat! If they charge you $100 a night for your housing, you will owe them money. :eek:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
"In addition, as this is a live-in role, you will be provided with accommodation, for which your salary will be abated."

There's a caveat! If they charge you $100 a night for your housing, you will owe them money. :eek:
And Johnny Cash fades in...
"...Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my sole to the company store."

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This thread brings up a whole other subject. Why on earth are the Brits paying for an opulent welfare program like the monarchy anyway?

Costs taxpayers something like $90 million a year to keep these welfare bums living the lifestyle they are custom. All because an ancestor a couple of thousand years agao was able to beat everyone else up, somehow that entitles the kids of today to live a lavish lifestyle paid by taxpayers. I think the royal family should be challenged every 10 years in an MMA closed cage match. All challengers welcome and winner takes all.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
This thread brings up a whole other subject. Why on earth are the Brits paying for an opulent welfare program like the monarchy anyway?

Costs taxpayers something like $90 million a year to keep these welfare bums living the lifestyle they are custom. All because an ancestor a couple of thousand years agao was able to beat everyone else up, somehow that entitles the kids of today to live a lavish lifestyle paid by taxpayers. I think the royal family should be challenged every 10 years in an MMA closed cage match. All challengers welcome and winner takes all.

Come on, think about the economics. The British government easily collects 90M/ year on the Value added taxes of trinkets sold at tourist shops around the various castles.

And then comes the real money - income taxes of all associated with the tourism industry, from tour guides, tour buses, hotels employees, restaurant employees, and the VAT for everything those people sell to the tourists. Then you have the industry of the tabloid press and the paparazzi photographers selling the photos, chasing undesirable royalty, causing car accidents, making undesirable royalty popular, spurring more interest in the next generation of royalty.

Come on, get with the program.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Come on, think about the economics. The British government easily collects 90M/ year on the Value added taxes of trinkets sold at tourist shops around the various castles.

And then comes the real money - income taxes of all associated with the tourism industry, from tour guides, tour buses, hotels employees, restaurant employees, and the VAT for everything those people sell to the tourists. Then you have the industry of the tabloid press and the paparazzi photographers selling the photos, chasing undesirable royalty, causing car accidents, making undesirable royalty popular, spurring more interest in the next generation of royalty.

Come on, get with the program.
Oh you mean sort of like the stadiums we are funding here? ;)

OK keep the monarchy but employ my plan to challenge the crown. Just think of the revenue that could generate!

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
FWIW
A friend of mine is a master clockmaker/watchmaker/horologist who happens to be from England. Last year, the Queen had an opening for a clock winder - not repair, just winding - for her several thousand clocks. It was a full time position with a nice salary and perks. He didn't apply but thought it would be a cool job.