Looking for a cooler box...

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Hi All,
I need to carry ice-cream for an Hour without melting. which would be the right appliance to purchase for the same?
Conditions:
Must be able to carry it in a 2 wheeler.
Usually purchase and transport popsicles boxes (20 Units of Popsicle per box) along with some family pack (specialities flavours available only in the long distant shop - usually 750 ml tub to a litre)
Which is the very popular and affordable brand all over the world like once Nokia for phones.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Start with an off-the-shelf molded plastic cooler and add extra insulation around it. If you need more cooling, freeze plastic bottles of salted water in your chest freezer.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
ANY cooler should do a fine job for just one hour of transit time. Shield the cooler from sunlight, maybe throw an extra towel over it. If you live in a dry area, make the towel wet to get evaporative cooling. One key trick is to pre-chill the cooler itself as much as possible. As suggested, a frozen bottle of water or two can fill that role as well as provide extra time. I never bother to salt the water (to lower the melting point), so I can drink it if needed.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I figure that since regular ice melts at around 0 C/32 F, all it can do is keep your melted ice cream soup fresh. Apparently ice cream doesn't have to be viciously cold to freeze, just about -3 C. I don't have a good feel for what the optimum melting temperature would be for the hypothetical salt water ice blocks, though I suspect it's some extreme. Unless I'm mistaken, this discussion argues that a higher melting temperature is preferable, so somewhere just below -3C?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In just a one hour transit time, the melting temperature of the ice won't matter, because little or none of it will melt. What matters is that it's a thermal mass at the temperature of your freezer.

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
In just a one hour transit time, the melting temperature of the ice won't matter, because little or none of it will melt. What matters is that it's a thermal mass at the temperature of your freezer.
But the popsicle will lose the shape...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
No. It'll gain more heat in the time it goes from the freezer to the checkout than it will pick up in an hour in a pre-chilled, insulated container chilled with a frozen water bottle.