Looking for a better connector

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
For years, I've been using EPIC brand connectors for most of my machines.

images.jpg 42267630.jpgEPIC_KIT_75009627_F1.png

But with time I've become disenchanted with them, mainly because the screws at their terminals are so small and soft that they can get easily damaged if one attaches and detaches a cable more than two or three times. And sometimes those screws also get stuck and become impossible to remove, making it necessary to buy a completely new connector, and sometimes even replace the wire itself.

Any suggestions out there as to other possible alternatives? @MaxHeadRoom

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Are you using the correct torque settings screwdriver for all terminations with wire ferrules? Why did you decide on screw terminations instead of crimp?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Are you using the correct torque settings screwdriver for all terminations with wire ferrules? Why did you decide on screw terminations instead of crimp?
Nope, I don't use a torque screwdriver whenever I assemble the cables to the connectors... maybe that's one of the problems. As for using screw terminations, I've never really liked crimping. That works fine when using a production machine for that purpose, but my attempts at crimping terminals using a hand tool have been been met with uneven results.

What I've liked best so far is using spring loaded terminals. But I only know of terminal blocks using said tech.

1581013463619.png

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The ones i have used in the past is the Wieland Electric 70 350 1020 - 70-320-xx etc, I have the ($$$) crimp tool for the pins and sockets.
If you ever go that route, you can have what i have left for postage, as I am out of the business now. ;)
Max.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
OK, maybe you're over-torquing the screws then. Once you've used the proper setting for a while it's much easier feel the proper torque with a specific standard screwdriver.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks, Max and Nsa ... I'm going to look for a good torque screwdriver and make a few tests with it. Maybe that should fix things and changing the connector type won't be necessary. I'd still like to know if there are spring loaded alternatives out there, though.