Looking analyzer devices rental for laser diode Infrared IR TO5

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sceaux, Nov 27, 2018.

1. sceaux

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Hello,

I have huge number of unbranded laser diode TO5 style in my hand. About more than 1,000qty. I want to sell these through online market place. Problem I am facing now is I do not know exact specification of all LDs like wavelength, output power, working current, and so on.

I researched analyzer and measurement device for buy or rent option. But buying devices is very expensive. So I am looking rental and need your help where is best company to handle my request. Also I am not a electronics engineer and no idea about how to measure and analyze. 20181009_000942.jpg

Thank you for reading and any help will be welcomed.

2. BR-549

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 22, 2013
    Start with a one shot 100 millisecond square pulse. Slowly increase voltage. Monitor laser output thru a smart phone camera.

sceaux likes this.
  3. Bernard

Expert

Aug 7, 2008
    Do you have any information on source or application? Looking at DigiKey laser diodes seems that most range from UV to 950 nm. On base markings D65051 by US Lasers Inc. came the closest. 5.6 mm, 650 nm, 5 mw,
    20 mA, 3 lead, US $ 12.50. Looks like you will have to make your own test jig. Maybe 3 IR transistors, 750 nm, 850 nm, 950 nm. Are these elements colliminated (?) or is a lens required? It might take up to 15 sec. / module to measure.
    Where are you located?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. sceaux

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Thank you for your help.
    LDs were purchased from a distributor in NJ. I tried to call but no response. I saw marked information such as T18, T05, and 7XXnm to 9XXnm. As you can see the image, there are two type of shape ; lens capped and without cap. Problem is items are mixed up. My location is central NJ.

5. MisterBill2

Distinguished Member

Jan 23, 2018
    To start analyzing them, you can gain some information just by illuminating them, some may be visible light and some will probably be IR light. Use a stable regulated DC supply and a 1000 ohm resistor and a good low-range voltmeter. A second meter can display the voltage across the resistor to read the current, (1mV=1mA). Seeing the color, or lack of color, and the forward voltage and current will help you understand what exact kind they are. Those with three leads probably include a diode to monitor the light output.

Do the laser diodes have any markings at all??? That will be useful for sorting them.

6. Bernard

Expert

Aug 7, 2008
    The 3rd leg on some appears to be attached to the case.
    Bases seem to have 1 or 2 notches.
    I was thinking that if we had 2 long pass filters, 800 nm & 900 nm that they could be separated into red, 7XX nm, 8XX nm, & 9XX nm but at $ 150 each that put the squelch on it.

7. jpanhalt

Expert

Jan 18, 2008
    The picture you show does not look like more than a thousand. First, you need to sort them. Then identify them. Sell them, and finally put up with buyer complaints, refunds, and eBay (if that will be your market place). Have you evaluated what similar devices sell for on eBay?

Sorry to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but you might make more money per hour flipping burgers. Now, if you are doing it for the experience, then that business model doesn't apply.