Long waiting times

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
In my experience, backups are best done quickly. They are meant to be a complete snapshot of the entire site, after all. The longer it takes, the more likely stuff is to fall between the cracks.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Sometimes during the day the forum has troubles loading.
It says a very long time "waiting for forum.allaboutcircuits.com" in the status bar of the browser.
(this also happens when posting or replying).

Sometimes even a time out occurs.

Are there setting on the server changed?

Greetings,
Bertus

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hello,

Sometimes during the day the forum has troubles loading.
It says a very long time "waiting for forum.allaboutcircuits.com" in the status bar of the browser.
(this also happens when posting or replying).

Sometimes even a time out occurs.

Are there setting on the server changed?

Greetings,
Bertus
Not had any problems myself, bertus, and I am on a similar time zone to yourself. I'm not aware of Rob doing any maintenance work.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Bertus, Are you using Firefox per chance? I get the same delay sometimes. I just X out of the attempt and retry. That usually goes quickly. I think it is a Firefox issue.

I have heard another cause is when others are using your wireless signal or you have spyware. I doubt that is really the case, but I do occasionally check to see if anyone else is on my network.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've been getting them too, but I tend to be phylisophical about it. It occurs all times of the day, lasts for about 5 minutes, then goes away. I use IE6.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi Guys,

Yep I've been experiencing this too and am looking into it. I think the DNS server is getting overloaded with requests.

Hundreds of messages similar to this are showing up in the logs:

Sep 30 16:32:32 jrap named[11764]: client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#5931: error sending response: not enough free resources
I'm working on it, hopefully have it solved in the next couple days. Please post in here if you experience the problem again.

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Guys,

Yep I've been experiencing this too and am looking into it. I think the DNS server is getting overloaded with requests.

Hundreds of messages similar to this are showing up in the logs:

I'm working on it, hopefully have it solved in the next couple days. Please post in here if you experience the problem again.
Thanks Rob, I must just have been lucky.

Dave

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi folks,

I have contacted technical support at the data center, they are looking into the issue. Will update when I hear back.

Cheers,

Rob

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I had difficulties two days ago when accessing to AAC. Sometimes it would gave me a message like "...took too long to respond."

I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3 and Windows XP SP3. I didn't have any problems when accessing other sites.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
At this time most users obtain their DNS services from their ISP.

(hello Ratch another term repeated after the acronym. It's actually more common practice than you think)

Most ISP services are becoming overloaded, leading to the wait times reported.

Users can also subscribe to alternative DNS services which at this time are definitely quicker.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
At this time most users obtain their DNS services from their ISP.

(hello Ratch another term repeated after the acronym. It's actually more common practice than you think)

Most ISP services are becoming overloaded, leading to the wait times reported.

Users can also subscribe to alternative DNS services which at this time are definitely quicker.
Are you experiencing any problems studiot?

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
My ISP is Orange, and yes I have some intermittent problems.
Thanks for letting me know. I am still perplexed how I am mananging to avoid it at the moment, particularly given the spread of problems some are experiencing and the fact I have been camped on-line for the last week.

Dave, you have a PM.
Received with thanks. I will forward to Rob who is currently liaising with the data center over this matter.

Dave

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
We've made a few changes last night/this morning. I'm monitoring the log file and am not noticing the error pop up. I will continue to monitor, but hopefully we have it solved.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My experience is you wouldn't notice it unless you were actually doing something that required refreshing the screen. I can think of lots of times I was AFK for more than 10 minutes.

I wasn't worried about it, but then you guys are good at this. Thank you.