Logic Analyzers to show the address location

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
There is a way to setup a logic analyzer to show the address locations so you can know what the logic states or logic status is happening at the address location. It looks like a timeline of address locations across the logic analyzer and you can view all the logic signals. I'm just not sure how to put the address locations.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
What is this called what i'm trying to do? Do I have to use the trigger input on the logic analyzer and probe the output of the address decoder circuit?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You are trying to use a logic analyzer of unknown brand or type.
As for whether you need to use a trigger input, it depends on the unknown logic analyzer.
As for whether you need to attach the probe to the output of the address decoder circuit, it depends on whether that is what you want to measure.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Check out the website for zeroplus logic analyzers. I'm not saying to buy one, just look at the pictures. I think what you want is as protocol analyzer, and the zeroplus widgets come loaded with a bunch of protocols like spi, i2c, can, etc, even some of the expensive industry ones. If you look at the pics there it will show you how the protocol analyzer sifts through the 1s and 0s looking for packets and picking out headers, addresses, etc.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
My old Tektronix logic analyzer and the old HP where I worked both have the ability to define a word based upon the inputs to generate a trigger. Choice of each position are H, L, X. H=High, L=Low, X=don't care.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
When would a technician want to put the address locations in a timeline and get to view all the multi channel logic signal states and status. You can scroll through the timeline back or forth from the address before and after to see all the logic signals and what is happening. How do you setup a logic analyzer like this?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Depends upon the logic analyzer. RTFM.
I'm not sure all logic analyzers are able to do this. What is this called to do this? If i have a 16 channel logic analyzer , yes I see all 16 channels of logic signals but how do I get the address locations. It should be displaying the address locations above all the logic signals in a timeline. So at address 7000 you can see all the 16 channels of logic signals and at address 0054 you can view all 16 logic channels.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
But where do you get the address locations? from the output of the Microcontroller or the address decoder circuit? or the ROM inputs?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Where do you get the address locations for what? The unknown circuit you are checking or the unknown Logic Analyzer you are trying to use without reading the Operating Manual?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
When you're viewing multiple channels of logic signals that is the easy part. The hard part is knowing at what millisecond or microsecond in time all those multi signals are assigned to which address? how do you know which address all these multiiple logic signals are addressed to at every milliseconds or microsecond. This is called what?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
When you're viewing multiple channels of logic signals that is the easy part. The hard part is knowing at what millisecond or microsecond in time all those multi signals are assigned to which address? how do you know which address all these multiiple logic signals are addressed to at every milliseconds or microsecond. This is called what?
Fumbling around in the dark?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It's called a protocol analyzer or a bus analyzer, and its called something you don't have. No doubt you're using one if those cheapo hobbyist logic analyzers that just show 16 streams of digital waveforms and nothing else. If you had anything better you would have said so by now.

Look dude, if you're going to ask a question and expect people to take the time to reply, have the courtesy to read the damn replies. Twice I prompted you to inform yourself of the difference between a logic analyzer and a protocol/bus analyzer. Apparently both times you just completely ignored my posts and kept repeating your same retarded question. That's downright irritating. You are the first person of 2015 I'm putting on the "ignore" list.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
a protocol analyzer or a bus analyzer
I never heard of these sorry, I guess some logic analyzer have a bus analyzer built in

Which a protocol analyzer or a bus analyzer do you use so i can read the pdf manuals?