Locating an Object in 3-D Space.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I have been watching the development of this thread with interest.

There is, of course, a vital missing piece of information.

The size of the 'object' in the glass box. It appears to have miraculously shrunk to a point in all analyses so far presented.

If the distance and directions are known to six known points in 3D space the information (for a point) is redundant and surveyors would employ some statistics to complete the task.
The size of the object would be of an issue in the box as if it was say...1/3rd the volume of the box...well then...this would present problems! LOL!

But for the sake of this question...and I know I should have been more specific and I will be so next time....treat the invisible object as if it were the size of a pea in a box or rectangle....between 1 and 2 meters per side.

As far as you last sentence I quoted above....If the distance and directions are known to six known points in 3D space the information (for a point) is redundant and surveyors would employ some statistics to complete the task.[/QUOTE]

Sure...that would work...IF you knew those exact distances and directions. But if you are at a point very distant and at a angle very different from those points from what you would be from Earth...and if you had issues with your crafts sensory equipment....and you needed to do this Geometry and plot a course to this hidden star system manually....you are going to use those 6 known and relative points to do so.

The whole object of this topic is to present the needed method of plotting a course to a invisible or hidden object or in the bigger picture...Star System.

Split Infinity

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
But if you are at a point very distant and at a angle very different from those points from what you would be from Earth...and if you had issues with your crafts sensory equipment
All the more reason to perform some statistical analysis on the information available.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
All the more reason to perform some statistical analysis on the information available.
Sure you could just use 3 know points or stars to get an idea where you are as far as your angle to the invisible object or star....but if you want to plot a course...you need all six.

Split Infinity

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If the distance and directions are known to six known points in 3D space the information (for a point) is redundant and surveyors would employ some statistics to complete the task.
He said you are not allowed to know the distances?

If you know the distances from hook to object then I already posted the simplest solution in post #14. Three hooks, on the corners, on one cube face.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
the RB
So who said the following quote I referred to in my post#20? (My underlining)

The 6 hooks are attached to the insides of the glass box at 6 points of position which are positions known and relative as to their distance and vectors away from the invisible object.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013

If you know the distances from hook to object then I already posted the simplest solution in post #14. Three hooks, on the corners, on one cube face.
Let me explain this...as I can see I need a bit of practice detailing out Math Problems...LOL!

The 6 Hooks are at 6 points of position known and relative to the invisible object...or...although YOU have not been told what the distance is between the 6 Hooks or 6 Points of Position and the Invisible Object....YOU DO KNOW that each point was specifically selected as to it's distance and vector to the other points as well as distance and vector to the invisible object for the purpose of using these points of position or Hooks to locate that invisible object.

6 Points of Position cannot be just chosen at RANDOM in order to locate the invisible object.

As I stated before...the 6 Points of Position location method is used in Deep Space Probes when all other abilities to plot it's position as well as be able to know where to point it's dish to send a signal to Earth have failed or are not working.

So if the Probes receiver is down or damaged but it can still send signals as it is to a point self determinate...it will simply take a Line of Site digital scan of the Stars and by using 6 points of position or 6 stars...it will know EXACTLY where to point it's dish to send a radio signal to Earth.

So these 6 Points or 6 Stars have already been selected as when a line is drawn from one star to another 3 times so as these 3 lines cross...THAT CROSSING POINT will be the position of Earth...and these 6 Stars would change week to week as Earth is orbiting the Sun. With Stars the 6 points don't tend to change for centuries.

So no matter from what angle or distance...as long as it is within the Galaxy...as Bright Magnitude Stars tend to be the criteria for being one of the 6 Points...you will be able to know where to plot a course or find an object or celestial body be it hidden is a Nebula or Star Cluster or obscured behind a local star.

Split Infinity