.Lnk file error

saleemsm

Joined May 15, 2006
i use an anti- malware, and suddely i had a pop up which said registry change detected should block or ignore, and me having no idea of the consequences, decided to block it... it was named HKey_CLAsses_rook\.lnk. and i blocked it...

now all my shortcuts won't work...

can any one sort it out for me?

saleemsm

Joined May 15, 2006
well i found the answers my self

its given in the web site filext.com

where it said the following:

A shortcut file is a pointer to an .EXE file somewhere on your system. When you click on the shortcut it's like clicking on the .EXE file and the associated program should start and run. Sometimes .LNK files will stop working. This can be because the underlying .EXE association has been broken by something (often by some form of anti-malware program improperly changing the registry) or the association in the registry can be come corrupted. See the FAQs for the .EXE problem. The other problem generally asserts itself when all shortcuts seem to open the same program. You may be able to fix this by opening the registry editor and looking in the key entry [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk] where you might see @="lnk_auto_file". If you see that, change the value to @="lnkfile" and all should work again after a system restart. Note: This file type can become infected and should be carefully scanned if someone sends you a file with this extension.

Thank you AAC for your support!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Well thank you for at least providing a solution in spite of the fact that no-one else could help you. You will notice that desktop shortcuts are indeed .lnk files, which verifies what you are saying.

To be honest, I wouldn't accept a file from anyone with a .lnk extension due to the fact that it can directly link to an executable, plus there is no need for such a file in the first place.

On an almost unrelated topic, users of Microsoft Word are advised to show caution when opening Word documents from the web due to a extremely critical unpatched, and openly exploited vulnerability - details can be found at Secunia.

Dave

saleemsm

Joined May 15, 2006
ya i came to learn it the hard way.

but i didn't accept anyfiles i actually had a pop saying that registry is modified and i accepted to block it... that gave all the problem...

anyways thanks for the reply.

have a nice day!

Well, I have the exact same problem. Luckily my browser is still working. I like to try to chang the registry as noted above, but regedit will not run, nore does notepad or word. Anyone have any ideas to get me out of this mess?

Well, I have the exact same problem. Luckily my browser is still working. I like to try to chang the registry as noted above, but regedit will not run, nore does notepad or word. Anyone have any ideas to get me out of this mess?

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
On an almost unrelated topic, users of Microsoft Word are advised to show caution when opening Word documents from the web due to a extremely critical unpatched, and openly exploited vulnerability - details can be found at Secunia.
Naturally...

Micro$oft Word is the worst text format ever. I don't understand why having macros in a text file. It is a great media to spread virus, that's for sure!

ya i came to learn it the hard way.

but i didn't accept anyfiles i actually had a pop saying that registry is modified and i accepted to block it... that gave all the problem...

anyways thanks for the reply.

have a nice day!
Those popup Windows actually are the ones spreading malware. They don't have the means to know is a computer has a corrupted registry or not. The best advice is to close them and not by clicking anything. Just close IE (I assume that is what you were using). Even if you close them by clicking the close button at the corner, the registry may get corrupted (it happened to me). After closing IE abruptly, I advice you to download Firefox, deactivate IE (unfortunately is not possible to uninstall it) and install Firefox.

Last edited by a moderator: