LMC555 Problem (solved)

SmokeMcPot

Joined Aug 7, 2015
Hello Guys

I build a circuit with a LMC555 Timer, i used this circuit very often and had no problems with it.
The circuit is a PFM Generator for a flyback, the frequency can be selected by applying a voltage on REG. The turn on time is determined with R19 and C14. To limit the current in the transformer a shunt resistor is used which will reset the timer at a certain current level.

But in a recent project i have problems with the reset entry of the Timer. The following figure shows the normal behavior of the circuit. In yellow we can see the voltage over the shunt resistor, which represents the current. After a certain limit, an over current is detected and the reset signal drops. The reset function is working well.

But when i apply a load on my flyback circuit under certain conditions, some serious problems with the reset entry appear. As you can see in the following figure, the timer ignores the reset signal and my transformer passes in to saturation.

I know the threshold of the reset entry is quiet low, min. 0.4V. But the reset signal applied is lower than this threshold.
Does someone have an idea, why this problem appears and whats the solution?
Thank you

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Could you separate the reset pin of CD4093 from 555 and measure its waveform and voltage when the pin is low?
I just checked the voltage of Vol(voltage output low) of CD4093 is 0.05V, so it is quite low than bjt.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
This is interesting, I never saw a 555 circuit controlled so many pins, it is still have some connections of pins are unclear, but since you concentrated in the reset pin of 555, the other is not that important for now.

LMC555 Problem_SmokeMcPot_AAC_ScottWang.gif

SmokeMcPot

Joined Aug 7, 2015
This is interesting, I never saw a 555 circuit controlled so many pins, it is still have some connections of pins are unclear, but since you concentrated in the reset pin of 555, the other is not that important for now.

View attachment 89807
Yes the regulator circuit is missing. But its just a PI-Regulator.

I found the solution in the mean time. Due the commutation of the Power-Electronics, powered by the flyback, some perturbations occur. You can see this perturbations in the second scope image.

When this perturbations appear in the flank of the reset signal, the flipflop of the LMC555 will have a Latch-up problem. The solution is to add capacitor around 500pF between the reset line and the ground. Now the problem disappears.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Yes the regulator circuit is missing. But its just a PI-Regulator.

I found the solution in the mean time. Due the commutation of the Power-Electronics, powered by the flyback, some perturbations occur. You can see this perturbations in the second scope image.

When this perturbations appear in the flank of the reset signal, the flipflop of the LMC555 will have a Latch-up problem. The solution is to add capacitor around 500pF between the reset line and the ground. Now the problem disappears.
I see the noise on the current, but not on the reset. Glad you got it working. :D