little confusion

deepak_c

Joined Jun 19, 2006
hi frnds ...i am a noob in electronics.....
can anybody plzz tell me when we say address of some data is something say 30h ..so is it the address
of that whole memory in which data is stored ..or it is the address of the 1'st bit of memory where data is stored...
basically i want to ask that we define an address for a bit or for whole memory where data is stored....?
Thnxx in advance.....
Deepak

saha

Joined Jun 1, 2006
Originally posted by deepak_c@Jun 20 2006, 01:59 PM
hello friends ..anybody here.....
plzz help me.........
[post=17825]Quoted post[/post]​

when we mean an address for a data 30h it means that it is the address for the entire byte 30h. there can even be address like 0 (one bit) or 1 (one bit) which can store the the data 30h (1 byte) or 1241h ( 2bytes).

remembering... what is a LATCH..this will help you.

regards,
saha

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Clarifying the response above, address of memory also correlates to the size of the data pointed by the address. For example, if the data size is byte, then the address would point to a whole byte and adding one to the address would point to the next byte. If the data size is word (two bytes), then the address points to a whole word and adding one to the address would point to the next word (NOT the upper byte). Similarly, for bit data, then the address would point to one bit only.

This is how typed compiler like C is designed. In physical world, the address is usually fixed by the hardware designer, say an 8-bit micro would have a memory address pointing to a whole byte (8-bit). Bit access usually only possible with specific instructions which tag the concerned bit. Or say a 32k*8-bit ram, the address would point to a whole byte, similarly a 32k*32-bit ram would have the address pointing to a whole double word.

deepak_c

Joined Jun 19, 2006
thanks friends thanks alot.... sorry for late reply... i got it.. i would have not got it so easily without your help.....:)