lith-ion battery recharge port wire has come off

rabtex

Joined Jan 6, 2019
I have a wheelchair with a lithium ion battery that wont take a charge. upon opening it I found the black wire has come off the port for the charger.
the red wire is still connected. the port has 3 leads 2 on the outer edge and one in the center. the red wire is connected to one of the outer leads.
question - to which lead does the black wire attach.
thanks

Attachments

rabtex

Joined Jan 6, 2019
I touched the side to the one on the side. It sparked. I'm guessing that means I should attach it to the center one?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Is that other unused pin touching the one with the red wire? It does look to be bent a bit. There needs to be no connection between the center red pin and the others.
Did you have the charger plugged in when you touched the wire on?
Do you have a multi meter? If so, plug in the charger and measure the volts from the center red pin to the outside one. The center red should be +Ve and the other -Ve. Then solder the black wire to the -Ve pin.

rabtex

Joined Jan 6, 2019
Is that other unused pin touching the one with the red wire? It does look to be bent a bit. There needs to be no connection between the center red pin and the others.
Did you have the charger plugged in when you touched the wire on?
Do you have a multi meter? If so, plug in the charger and measure the volts from the center red pin to the outside one. The center red should be +Ve and the other -Ve. Then solder the black wire to the -Ve pin.
No the charger was not attached at the time. And I'm afraid i don't have a multi meter

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A close examination of that component with the red wire connected will reveal that one of the terminals has broken off. THAT will be where the black wire should be connected. I am presuming that it is the place where the charger connects. You would probably damage things or start a fire connecting it to the red wire. If you do not know how to solder fairly well, you need to locate somebody who does know, because the soldering job will be a bit tricky.
One of those two terminals will work, the other will do nothing. So a very careful examination to see which one it broke off of is needed.

rabtex

Joined Jan 6, 2019
I
A close examination of that component with the red wire connected will reveal that one of the terminals has broken off. THAT will be where the black wire should be connected. I am presuming that it is the place where the charger connects. You would probably damage things or start a fire connecting it to the red wire. If you do not know how to solder fairly well, you need to locate somebody who does know, because the soldering job will be a bit tricky.
One of those two terminals will work, the other will do nothing. So a very careful examination to see which one it broke off of is needed.
I touched the black wire to the cut off terminal and it sparked - so I assume I need to solder the black wire to the central terminal, though I am quite nervous this being a lithium ion battery and its large - can it explode?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
With nothing plugged in, there should be no spark. If there is a spark, something is wrong. You may need to get it looked at by a qualified person.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Can you get a side view of the terminals? But anyway, if it sparked, and you did not touch the red wire with the black, the connector must be faulty and needs replacing.
And get yourself a miultimeter. Look on Ebay for an AN8002. They are pretty good for the price.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What I think that see is that the one terminal is touching the terminal with the red wire. THAT SHOULD NOT BE!! Those two terminals with nothing on them are for the opposite side of the connector, and what I think I see is that the one is touching the center (red wire) connection. It needs to be moved away from that center connection. What it looks like is that somehow the part has made contact with the center and possibly the black wire connection burned off instead of just breaking off. I have no knowledge of your skill set, and so no clue as to your ability to fix the problem of that small bit contacting the center connection. But certainly if you are getting a spark, then whatever you are touching is connected to the red wire somehow, and that is the problem.

Now I am asking you to examine the charger label, particularly the one that has a symbol for the connector. That should indicate center positive.

rabtex

Joined Jan 6, 2019
The red site is attached to a post to the side. It does not touch the center post. The spark occurred when I touched the black wire to the other side post. My skills are limited, I do know how to solder and I just ordered a multi meter from ebay. Concerning the charger, it is in chines and does nothing but constztantly light up green when plugged in

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If that is the case, the connector needs replacing.
Dendad called it right. It appears that somehow the connector has developed a short circuit connection between the center post and the outside contacts. That is probably why the wire came off, it was the terminal melting like a fuse. The good news is that it looks like there is plenty of room to work on that connector replacement, the really hard part will be finding the correct replacement connector. DigiKey used to carry many different sizes, they may still carry them. Good Luck!

rabtex

Joined Jan 6, 2019
thanks for your help - I will try this. if you ever need culinary help feel free to contact me
with much appreciation
rabtex

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
thanks for your help - I will try this. if you ever need culinary help feel free to contact me
with much appreciation
rabtex
Thanks for the offer, RabTex, Presently my cooking ability is good enough so that I will not go hungry, but not nearly to the level where I would ever win prizes. I wonder if this website has an area devoted to cooking, although I doubt it. My one great creation has been fried bagel slices, neither original nor very healthy, and certainly not very complex. But a great way to utilize bagels that have passed their prime and gone into the "really cheap" bin.