LinuxCNC anyone?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yep, I am using it, though still a beginner, and it seems to be pretty capable and there is a good forum when help is needed.
I just wanted to asses it first, I have some Kiosk touch screens that are 640x480 and wondered if the scan/resolution was suitable?
Will it boot up on a windows machine just to evaluate?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I thought I was in trouble. The bios on the old PC that I used wouldn't let me boot from a thumb drive. My only options were floppy, CD, hard drive, Network. So that pendrive Linux ISO that I made from linuxcnc didn't seem like it was going to work unless I could find a blank DVD. But just for shits and giggles I tried opening the install file inside of the windows that was already installed on the PC and it worked. It installed a bootloader form inside windows that when I rebooted the PC, it went into the install and recognize the thumb drive. I chose a dual boot system because I had a license copy of Windows 7 on the machine and I didn't want to throw it away. Some of the software that I use for my Servo drives requires windows.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Sorry I can't give you a very good review of linuxcnc, as I've only just now gotten into it. I can tell you that linuxcnc will recognize my Mesa boards, but that's about it. Hopefully after the storm and I've had a few days to mess with it I will be able to tell you more.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I moved an axis today but I did it the stupid way. Didn't connect my limit switches first. Too excited. So I tried jogging from the pncconfig wizard and it gave me the attached Python error. Upon acknowledging the error, the x-axis took off and didn't stop until the x-axis servo collided with the y-axis dovetail. Damage is not bad but I can report the LinuxCNC interface with mesa card is not without bugs.

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I fiddled with it a bit more this evening, making some progress. Here's a tip: you can use the pncconf/stepconf wizards to create your CNC configuration but trying to use the wizard to edit an already saved config creates bugs. If you need to edit a config (hal/ini) it's best to make text changes in the files.

Found another bug too; if you check "show advanced options pages" at the beginning of the config wizard, it creates a hal file for a Mitsubishi spindle drive supposedly communicating over serial. I ran the wizard twice to make sure I wasn't hallucinating; the box for serial spindle drive definately wasn't checked. When it doesn't find the imaginary drive on startup, it fails to load. You can't just delete the serial spindle drive hal file; you have to go into it and comment out all the parameters with "#"

LinuxCNC has plenty of bugs I have encountered but I expect once I find the workarounds I will have a reliable/ consistent machine. This is the price you pay for not paying. I have experienced as many bugs in paid industrial control software though, and that was maddening. If I pay for something (esp kilobucks) I expect it to work without flaw. This LinuxCNC business does not irritate me much; I expected it and I am having fun with it regardless.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""LinuxCNC has plenty of bugs I have encountere""
My experience is only about Mach3 on Windows and on Linux. There is just one but rather big difference. Windows machines has first hands rights for machine flags and only second hands rights for software functioning. That sounds like that:
program: please one step forward
Windows core: please erase all and make a better order in RAM
Processor: one step forward declined. All energy to erasing all all all and then making a better order.
Result: one or more than one steps are made in incorrect time, all the process are shifted with growing time-scale mistake. (We was using this for syncing the telescope with the stars movement, so the desync is veeeery irritating.
Then Linux have vice versa, computer will make a better order in shelves after the job will be done, in the free time, therefore desync never happens, in respect how accurate is the CLK quartz. So our telescope was shifted to Linux.
And at last, referring to historical slogan Win95 MustDie, today we ough write WinAllMustDie.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
At present it is a toss up between Linux and Kmotion with Kanalog.
Suppoert is A1 on it evidently.
Max.
The reason I went LinuxCNC is what @Janis59 was saying. Linux is a real time operating system and windows is not. I recommend you research that as it applies to a CNC-PC if you weren't already aware. I can't explain it because I don't fully understand it or don't remember what I read, but the conclusion I came to based on my research was that a windows-based CNC controller is fine for hobbyist-level machines that are slow and don't need to hold tight tolerances, but if I wanted to maintain the speed and accuracy that my production-quality machine had at birth, I wouldn't be able to achieve that with a Windows machine. But there's no reason a Linux machine couldn't do it.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
[QUOTE="MaxHeadRoom: present it is a toss up between Linux and Kmotion with Kanalog.
Support is A1 on it evidently"
Max.[/QUOTE]
Wow, wow. How nice is to talk with clever guys. WHAT IS Kanalog, and what KMotion. And what is A1.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The reason I went LinuxCNC is what @Janis59 was saying. Linux is a real time operating system and windows is not. I recommend you research that as it applies to a CNC-PC if you weren't already aware. I can't explain it because I don't fully understand it or don't remember what I read, but the conclusion I came to based on my research was that a windows-based CNC controller is fine for hobbyist-level machines that are slow and don't need to hold tight tolerances, but if I wanted to maintain the speed and accuracy that my production-quality machine had at birth, I wouldn't be able to achieve that with a Windows machine. But there's no reason a Linux machine couldn't do it.
I've been using Windows for controlling CNCs of my own design for many years already, and I can relate to what you're saying. However, if you're careful with your programming (i.e. making proper use of interrupt routines, and double-buffered controls), and use proper components with sturdy drivers (i.e. ftdi usb to serial converters) then you shouldn't have that many a problem.