Linux Nano Question.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
So I am in zsh on a arch iso trying to look into what is there what is on the iso disk. there is a install.txt file when i type ls. At first I assumed it was empty. However if you just type nano nano drops to an empty page anyway. Can nano read a .txt file? cant seem to find the answer online and if the system is ignoring the rest of the string this would happen anyway.

Last edited:

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Yes. It's setup as the default editor on Raspberry Pi (Debian Linux). I hate it.
most defaults in linux suck for the most part. Its made for computer people and people that think like computer people. I was at a local Linux meetup and this old guy turned to me and he was installing ubuntu he goes "my god the artist took over". I did duck duck it man, but none of the guides ever said allows .txt files specificaly or even alluded to it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Its made for computer people and people that think like computer people.
Anyone using Unix/Linux should know vi/vim or the graphical interface to them (gvim). Back in the 80's hardcore people used Teco emacs. I never liked it.

Once I got proficient with vi, I never considered any other editors. I even use vi on my Windows computers.

Last edited:

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Anyone using Unix/Linux should know vi/vim or the graphical interface to them (gvim). Back in the 80's hardcore people used Teco. I never liked it.

Once I got proficient with vi, I never considered any other editors. I even use vi on my Windows computers.
I threw a vim command at it also didn't work but the package is there i must have typed something wrong. I very much dislike not having an easy command list given to me when i drop into a shell.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I threw a vim command at it also didn't work but the package is there i must have typed something wrong. I very much dislike not having an easy command list given to me when i drop into a shell.
I've never used zsh, but in tcsh you can type the first part of a command and press the tab key to see all commands starting with the string entered so far:
1574650692568.png

1574650869585.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
true ive done similar in ubuntu its usually tab tab but zsh that didn't work.
Tab completion is a shell feature. The default shell for most Linux distros seems to be Bash. It's an improved sh, but I never liked sh much. The last time I used it frequently was when I was a Unix sysadmin.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Thats funny I was Playing with ping It returned a command list the first entry is really strange.

Usage: ping [-aAbBdDfhLnQqrRUvV64] .......

next bit is the oddest it also repeats the usage list like this.

Usage: ping -6 [-aAbBdDfhLnQqrRUvV] ......

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
this is getting stranger and stranger.

pacman -Q

to show installed packages wont let me scroll all the way to the top with Shift page up command. Probably a buffer thing cause its an iso. but still feels like a strange bug. Im not wise enough with ZSH commands yet to slow down the auto scroll.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
this is getting stranger and stranger.

pacman -Q

to show installed packages wont let me scroll all the way to the top with Shift page up command. Probably a buffer thing cause its an iso. but still feels like a strange bug. Im not wise enough with ZSH commands yet to slow down the auto scroll.
Try: pacman -Q | less
Try: less install.txt for your first problem