line follower robot stop at particular position

ep.hobbyiest

Joined Aug 26, 2014
i am planning to make one line follower robot. i am planning to use 4 geared DC motor for that. I want the robot to follow the line but i want to stop the robot at a particular location on the line. then again move ahead.
What technique/sensors i can use to stop the robots at that particular position. I can't use DC motor's feedback to check the number rotation.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi ep,
What are you using for the main controller MCU.?
If you know the mtr/min 'velocity' of the robot at a given PWM, have you considered using elapsed time.?
You could attach a small magnet to one of the wheels and a Hall effect transistor for rotation counts.
E

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
  1. Or can you mark the place you want it to stop? Things you can put on or near the line to show the follower where to stop include a magnet, a (flashing) LED an optical stripe crossing the line or a black, white, or colored patch next to the stopping point, and turn the follower line from solid to broken at the stopping point.

There are other means but these seem simple ans easy to get working.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
i am planning to make one line follower robot. i am planning to use 4 geared DC motor for that. I want the robot to follow the line but i want to stop the robot at a particular location on the line. then again move ahead.
What technique/sensors i can use to stop the robots at that particular position. I can't use DC motor's feedback to check the number rotation.
If the line sensor you are using can detect it then you could use a short line section at right angles to the line and use that as as top signal.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The description of the line follower robot with 4 wheel drive is interesting, but includes no mention of the steering scheme. The one version like that which I have seen did not even use a processor or other logic. It simply stopped the motor on whichever side sensed that it was over the line. That design was published in about 1967.
So some description of how the robot will be steered will let us better know the best scheme for adding a pause and continue function.