Like it or not, Linux has taken over

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I can remember before the internet.......using slow phone cradle modems.....and looking up bulletin board numbers of the closest cities in computer magazines.

You let everyone know the latest equipment you had and what was new in coming. Computer club meets and so on.

A lot of clone computer shops would sponsor them.

A terminal was all that was used.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I dont think so. Android has taken over. Whatshowever it turns out it just opens additional possibilities faster ways in some cases, not a replacement for laptop.

Windows or LINUX for office work or consumer is not an issue you normally go to a shop and it will be Windows based.
If it doesnt work (refurbushed, self built, license lost, not enough money), LINUX is available out there.

I have resorted to it several times, learned how to use it install apps even compile sources.
But its more difficult to use, not a consumer OS.

That said Android actually is LINUX inside a wrapper + user mode only.

For myself I see it that way they can and do (as for my usage) coexist.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
I'd say Qualcomm and MediaTek are having a bad month.
I thought you may say that.

Point here is that the exploit was found and the OS did not do anything to stop it. Just like with the SMBv1 exploit we where discussing above. In other words there is no difference in the way Linux and Windows handles these type of things.
I would have to go back thought the CVE database to find some "Linux" exploits that don't depend on other software, but I really don't have the time, nor the need.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I thought you may say that.

Point here is that the exploit was found and the OS did not do anything to stop it. Just like with the SMBv1 exploit we where discussing above. In other words there is no difference in the way Linux and Windows handles these type of things.
I would have to go back thought the CVE database to find some "Linux" exploits that don't depend on other software, but I really don't have the time, nor the need.
A vulnerability has to be exploited to be damaging. Wake me up when that happens to any significant extent.