Lights Getting Brighter - Possible Loose Neutral? MBroad

MBroad

Joined May 16, 2016
Ya, I'm having the same issue in the house I'm renting. I've found 12v automotive connectors behind 2 reciprocals and grounds not connected to anything. Comes from a dimmer switch to nothing. When the washing machine changes to spin mode or rinse all the lights get bright and fans slow. What could it be. P.s. the management company is waiting for us to leave before they do anything.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hi MBroad, welcome to the forums.

It is preferred to start your own thread topic when presenting you new, though quite similar problem. That way answers to your question do not get confused with someone else's. I suspect a moderator will move your question to a new thread soon enough.

My first answer is to advise you to move, as any repair here it should not be on your dime, and there can be safety issues with this.

Short of that call your manager every day to inquire what steps he is taking that day to fix this. If you have a local government office to call try that as the next step.

It sounds to me like you have a neutral unconnected. This needs an electrician to find and fix.

You have electrical work not up to code. There may be other issues you are not aware of.

Good luck!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Ya, I'm having the same issue in the house I'm renting. I've found 12v automotive connectors behind 2 reciprocals and grounds not connected to anything. Comes from a dimmer switch to nothing. When the washing machine changes to spin mode or rinse all the lights get bright and fans slow. What could it be. P.s. the management company is waiting for us to leave before they do anything.
Since you have already found out some issues then we can assume there are more issues with improper wiring methods.. Missing grounds/loose connections,etc...
You are renting.. If you have alerted the management company then there is really nothing you can or should do other than make sure your renters insurance is up to date in the event of a fire to protect your belongings..
Its their problem not yours.. You are not required to do anything nor should you.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Take pictures and complain and if those pictures and complaints fall on blind eyes and deaf ears find out who is above them and go there.

MBroad

Joined May 16, 2016
Ya, sorry about the whole piggy backing on the other thread. Im New to the forum thing.
Thanks for advice. We've already got a new place to move into except, the management company has asked us to leave so they can repair some drywall.
Not for a week or so, we got a 60 day notice. Our escrow closes about 3 weeks after we have to be out of here.

MBroad

Joined May 16, 2016
sorry about the whole piggy backing on the other thread. Im New to the forum thing.
Thanks for advice. We've already got a new place to move into except, the management company has asked us to leave so they can repair some drywall.
Not for a week or so, we got a 60 day notice. Our escrow closes about 3 weeks after we have to be out of here.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Most states require that any dwelling that is being rented out must be "suitable for human habitation." Now, just what that means varies from state to state (and possibly from county to county). Some places might well consider a residence with the type of electrical deficiencies you might have as being unsuitable based on the safety considerations. If that is the case (and you will have to track down who you need to talk to where you live) then you may have grounds by which they must put you up in comparable quarters until such time that the original place becomes suitable. Remember, your lease basically says that you agreed to pay for such suitable place of habitation, but it also says that they agreed to provide such a place in exchange for that payment.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
^^.. yep.. based on details not provided in the original question there may be legal actions you can take if needed..

Never heard of anyone getting booted from a rental just so some drywall patchwork can be done..
But if that drywall work is part of a complete rewiring/inspection of said building then ok and if they are violating your contract in anyway then you could make some money off this..

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
sorry about the whole piggy backing on the other thread. Im New to the forum thing.
Check your state/county/city renter's rights laws. Most rental agreements you sign with the landlord/rental company are all about protecting them. Renters rights are usually listed in local and state laws. Use google to track down the info you need.

Good luck.

MBroad

Joined May 16, 2016
Thanks everyone. I honestly think, by giving us a 60- day notice, they can charge more than the 10% a year they can raise our rent. Sadly, some people just suck and are only about the dollar. All the lights get bright, then dim. I'm just glad to be out of southern Commyfornia soon.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks everyone. I honestly think, by giving us a 60- day notice, they can charge more than the 10% a year they can raise our rent. Sadly, some people just suck and are only about the dollar. All the lights get bright, then dim. I'm just glad to be out of southern Commyfornia soon.
In CA you have a ton of laws and regulations that favor the renter -- but YOU need to look into them.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
People in California still pay rent? Suckers. They should just become squatters.
http://www.examiner.com/article/las...arge-5-000-vegas-houses-are-home-to-squatters
Don't get me started on that whole topic -- just another case were people that do it wrong get protected and rewarded for bad behavior.

I can't get the article to come up -- it seems to not like the fact that I won't let them install any of the more than dozen cookies they want to slip by me.

The title seems to be able Nevada -- does it contain info about the situation in California?

The last I heard CA was bending over backwards and even making it legal for people to squat in other peoples' homes and illegal to get them out of them. The story I last read about was a soldier that was deployed and left his house empty while he was gone. When he got home there were squatters that were running a drug operation and this soldier discovered he had no legal recourse to get them out of his home -- so HE had to rent another place to live in while these squatters were living in HIS home (that HE still had to pay mortgage, insurance, and taxes on!) and it was looking like the squatters were going to be able to claim adverse possession and take ownership of the house! I never heard how it turned out, but being California I wouldn't put much money on the soldier.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The article includes a linked video about California, which seems to be the worst in the country in this regard. I heard a new case on the radio just this week and wanted to link to that, but I couldn't find it quickly. Here is a later update to the link above.

Oh wait, I found the story I was looking for. The woman (victim) is interviewed here, starting at 54:45. Absolutely outrageous.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The article includes a linked video about California, which seems to be the worst in the country in this regard. I heard a new case on the radio just this week and wanted to link to that, but I couldn't find it quickly. Here is a later update to the link above.

Oh wait, I found the story I was looking for. The woman (victim) is interviewed here, starting at 54:45. Absolutely outrageous.
I agree -- when I first heard about these stories I was just bewildered. It would be interesting to see if any of the states that are like California in this regard also happen to have a Castle Doctrine law on the books.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yup. I would find it very hard to not draw arms if someone had parked themselves in my house, and I had so little recourse.

What's stunning about that last story is that the squatter was able to obtain a restraining order against the home owner! What asinine judge did that?