Light should go on for a few seconds after a push on a button, project .......

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Good day to you all again!

The last time you helped me tremendously with my chicken coop door project and this time I need a bit of help again!

(The coop doors by the way still work flawlessly!)

See the pics below!

1.png2.png

The above items have been installed in our new bar / cinema but I would like to add something that is not a standard set up.

Whenever I press the exit button the lock should not only unlock (which it does) but a light should flash up for a couple of seconds.

The idea is to add a green 12V (or 220V) light bulb next to the door that comes on for 5 seconds or so whenever I press the switch that controls the door lock. I could buy a similar switch as I have now and connect them mechanically (next to each other, with a glued piece of rectangular plastic on top of the switches themselves) so if you press one switch both actually work. But, how to get a lightbulb to flare up for a couple of seconds if you briefly press a switch?

The 'green light circuit' can be installed independently, I'd rather don't connect any more wiring to the 'door opening circuit' with all it's components.

Is there 'something' that you can connect to a 12V power supply (or 220V) that lets the power flow for a number of seconds whenever you press a switch very briefly?

I am asking as there is more than 1 exit button and when a customer presses the button the door unlocks alright but there should be a visual sign, like a green light, that turns on so he can see his brief pressing of the door exit button indeed unlocked the door.

PS, even nicer would be if a red light is on (all the time) but turns off (and a green one lights up for 5 seconds) when pressing a switch

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I know you said you don’t want to connect anything to the controller but the obvious way to do this seems to be to use the same output as the power to the door lock. Failing that, I would still look at using the NO contact on the controller and inverting the logic to trigger a time delay relay.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
I know you said you don’t want to connect anything to the controller but the obvious way to do this seems to be to use the same output as the power to the door lock. Failing that, I would still look at using the NO contact on the controller and inverting the logic to trigger a time delay relay.
Just a preference! The more wiring connected the more complicated it becomes but if something is obvious it it obvious. (at least for you guys)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
What kind of light? 60 W incandescent? 10-cent LED? Power sources available for the light?

A trivially invasive opto-coupler can be wired in parallel with the door lock, giving you a fully-isolated signal that can be used to control any kind of light and switch you want.

ak

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Yaakov: eh, no. There always is power going to the lock. Except for the moment it opens, then there is no power. In case of power failure therefore the lock (door) opens.

AnalogKid: I was thinking of getting a 6 Watt LED. (12 V) I saw some nice LEDs that sort of look a bit like a traffic light. The red could always be on, except for when I press the door exit (which is also ENTRY of course!) Then the red should trun off and the green on. (for a couple of seconds at least)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Yaakov: eh, no. There always is power going to the lock. Except for the moment it opens, then there is no power. In case of power failure therefore the lock (door) opens.

AnalogKid: I was thinking of getting a 6 Watt LED. (12 V) I saw some nice LEDs that sort of look a bit like a traffic light. The red could always be on, except for when I press the door exit (which is also ENTRY of course!) Then the red should trun off and the green on. (for a couple of seconds at least)
Then you just reverse the logic.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Ah, let me explain this to myself ........

The exit (entry) button is connected to ground and push.
The lock is connected to com and normally closed.

That works well.

Whenever I press the button the power is interrupted for a number of seconds (I set it to 6) and so the lock opens.

Are you saying that I should connect the red light also to com and normally closed (just like the lock) and the green light to normally open and ?

So that way the red is always on, turns off when the lock opens (as there is no power) but the green turns on for 6 seconds.

Is that right?

And if so, the green then is connected to no and ?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Ah, let me explain this to myself ........

The exit (entry) button is connected to ground and push.
The lock is connected to com and normally closed.

That works well.

Whenever I press the button the power is interrupted for a number of seconds (I set it to 6) and so the lock opens.

Are you saying that I should connect the red light also to com and normally closed (just like the lock) and the green light to normally open and ?

So that way the red is always on, turns off when the lock opens (as there is no power) but the green turns on for 6 seconds.

Is that right?

And if so, the green then is connected to no and ?
Using the information available in that diagram, yes, that's correct.

Test it. First, check and make sure there is voltage present (using a meter), they wire up a suitable indicator and try it.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Thank you Yaakov.

I will let you know the results once I get the stuff I had in mind. That will take some time as I will need to order the green/red LEDs.