Library creation of obsolete software

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I have several old but good computers, laptops, printers and scanners. The other day, I was messing around with a compaq pressario that has a very screwed up operating system due to someone trying to install win7 64 pro when the original os was vista home 32. Despite many searches, I could not find a copy of win 7 32 to install as this would run ok. (Vista is not supported now)
This led me to think how useful it would be if we had a library on here that people could upload/download installation software and drivers etc for older yet still serviceable equipment. How practical this would be I don't know, also would posting obsolete software infringe copyright?
It just seems such a shame and waste to take otherwise perfectly good equipment to the refuse tip.

On a slightly different tack, what else other than scrap it, do I do with an old Acer laptop with windows XP that works perfectly? use it for storage? sure I could run Ubuntu or possibly Linux and buy some security package, but is it worth spending money on it??? I'm no computer buff and I'm sure there is some reason that the ideas will get shot down in flames, but thought it was worth the enquiry.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Ubuntu is pretty user friendly as far as Linux goes. Linux is a great option.

If you have a Windows product key, you can download Windows 7 here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

You can buy Windows 7 online:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=windows 7 professional OEM&sprefix=windows+7+profe,aps,268

I would not use Windows XP on anything connected to the internet these days. Too many security holes that are fixed in later versions of Windows. Just to have it on your home network is a security risk, unless you isolate it from the rest of your computers. If you're not sure how to do that, then just leave it turned off. ;)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm in the process of selling my vintage computers. Today I sold an old Dell tower with Windows 95 on it. Got $30!! I can't tell you how good it feels to see space starting to open up in my basement. Just sayin'.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'm in the process of selling my vintage computers. Today I sold an old Dell tower with Windows 95 on it. Got $30!! I can't tell you how good it feels to see space starting to open up in my basement. Just sayin'.
I've got about 20 of these. Or more. I've lost count. Lappies, too.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
I don't know what websites all do it, or are legitimate, but there used to be some old version sites that were pretty good, and let you join and D/L free.

Not to hijack your thread, but I still use old hardware too.

....I would not use Windows XP on anything connected to the internet these days. Too many security holes that are fixed in later versions of Windows. Just to have it on your home network is a security risk, unless you isolate it from the rest of your computers. If you're not sure how to do that, then just leave it turned off. ;)
Hmmmm. I have a Toughbook laptop w XP on it, and keep all installed apps from updates. Are you saying that I could even run later rev's of Windows on that hardware? I don't have a CD drive for it.

Can I D/L xubuntu onto it, have it for default boot OS and not loose any of my data?

Last edited: