Li-Ion Boost Voltage Regulator with High Output Power

tapirath

Joined Oct 2, 2018
The basic schema of what I'm trying to do is attached as an image.
I'm researching an appropriate step-up IC for voltage regulation of a 2 cell li-ion source.
However I'm having difficulty to find one for output powers in the range of 200-250W.

Are these regulator chips intended to be used with external parts that determines the output power that the complete circuit can handle or am I supposed to look for an IC that strictly specifies 200W+?

What DIY friendly (manually solderable) component you can recommend?

Thanks

Attachments

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
That is a pretty big load for a couple of cells.
Why not use enough cells to make up the voltage?
How long do you expect the motor to run?
I think you will continue to have trouble finding a single IC to do the job. For high currents, an external power FET is normally used.

tapirath

Joined Oct 2, 2018
That is a pretty big load for a couple of cells.
Why not use enough cells to make up the voltage?
How long do you expect the motor to run?
I think you will continue to have trouble finding a single IC to do the job. For high currents, an external power FET is normally used.
The motor is used to actuate the pneumatic piston of an airsoft gun (like paintball but with plastic BBs). Currently all commercial solutions work without a regulator so when the battery voltage goes down the rate of fire of the gun changes drastically. It also affect the trigger response. I'm somehow trying to compensate for that with having a constant voltage throughout the discharge of the battery.