LG Washing Machine Control Board Question ..#2

Old Reliable

Joined May 4, 2024
New to forum, stumbled on it while searching for info about an LG washer. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and interest!

Let me know if a new thread is preferred, don't want to divert...

Goal:

- Modify an LG washer for use as a greens spinner on a small farm

Context:

- We are using the spin cycle with unmodified controls. We want to operate with the lid removed, which means we want to defeat the lid safety interlock.

- There is a door lock mechanism that includes a motor and sensors. The wiring diagram shows 2 motor connections and 3 switch connections (attached)

Questions:

- What is the "Lid SW" on pin 5? Is there a magnetic interlock or is this a mechanical switch within the mechanism? Is this used as an indication of the lid being closed BEFORE the lock mechanism is actuated?

- I can bypass the mechanism by closing the switch connections on the PCB and simulating the motor loads with resistors. But... is there any way to predict if this will work without having to match a "sequence". Basically, does the FW require sensing a sequence of events or can the FW be satisfied by closing all the switches or, for example, closing the "door closed" switch and leaving the "door open" switch open ??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insight.

Mod: link to old thread.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...ne-control-board-question.114147/post-1552595

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Reliable

Joined May 4, 2024
Darn, was hoping someone here had insight into the LG door interlock algorithm.

I guess I will have to experiment. I think the worst-case scenario is a required sequence of events and I will have to use manual switches to fake it out.

So far, we "relocated" the control panel and PCB, then taped the lid lock mechanism to the freestanding lid, adjusting until it worked. Goal is to toss the lid!

Attachments

Old Reliable

Joined May 4, 2024
Found a YouTube video that shows the lid sensor is magnetic and explains the motor-driven latch must be "stopped" part-way through it's travel to satisfy the "closed" detection. All this adds up to being able to use the standalone latch mechanism by applying a magnet and fabricating a "stop" for the latch. I can still try to bypass the mechanism but this will at least allow tossing the lid!

Link to YouTube Video