Let's answer Joe's questions

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
When I was about 12, I took the bulb of a small flashlight and soldered a wire to each of its two poles. Then I plugged the wires directly into a 120VAC outlet to see what happened... Lo and behold! the bulb flashed intensely for a very brief moment and then it turned completely silver! ... it wasn't until years later that I understood that I had vaporized the filament and its inner surface became coated with it... and I was also surprised that the bulb didn't explode... I should've kept that thing as a souvenir, but I lost it.

@Motanache - Great thread!

I ask an extra question- At what age did you start with electronics? What was your first assembly?
Hmmmm... I recall assembling 'logic gates', etc of electromechanical relays (at Ca 5 or 6 YOA) - While not technically 'electronics', It seems said activity represented the proverbial 'shadow where the tree would fall' - Thus it was that I thought I'd made a great discovery - only to learn I'd merely 'reinvented the wheel' - and rather crudely at that:(--- Yeah! I know... I had a lot of time on my hands:oops:

Best regards
HP:cool:

PS:
Did you ever cause a component to explode?
Did you ever incorrectly connect a DMM blowing a fuse?
Did you ever get shocked?
Did you ever disobey your mother and put your hand on a hot stove or pan?
All of the above -- ad infinitum...:oops:

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The context of my questions was that you remember things without repetition when you have an emotional event.
Absolutely and my little shocking experiences with electricity were only a few which were indelibly planted in my brain housing group. There were also a host of other things I did and remember vividly as though it were yesterday. Every year I gather with some old friends, guys I shared childhood with growing up in NYC and later on Long Island during the 50s and early 60s. Conversation al;ways includes we can't believe we are still here today to talk about some of the stunts we pulled. Amazing many of us are still alive to share the old stories. When we do something, something with a screaming result or outcome with an emotional event we only need once to place it indelibly in our brain housing group. Once is enough. :)

Ron