LED Light Bar Wiring

KM2022

Joined Apr 12, 2022
Hi all,

I'm not so well versed electronically so alot of questions to come, I've recently installed an LED light bar and wired it up using the given harness which includes a 4-pin relay, high beam connector & a 3-prong rocker switch. Currently having issues where the LED light bar will not light up, I've tested the light bar directly to the battery and it lights up. I've also tested the relay, where connecting 85 & 86 results in a click, and tested continuity while energised between 30 & 87 I'm getting about 1.8 ohms, is this considered too high?

When I turn on the highbeams it also results in the relay to click, even when I've taken off the rocker switch (should the relay be clicking? If relay is energised shouldn't that connect power to the lightbar i.e. 30 to 87?)

I suspect the problem either lies with the wiring to the rocker switch or the plug connecting to the light bar.
I've tried putting a lead between the wires that lead to the power & accessory prongs (black and blue wires) for the rocker switch (am I correct in thinking this will simulate the switch in the "ON" position), however no success. I've also noted that the resistance between the blue and black wire is about 80 ohms, what does this mean?

Cheers.

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

To help, we will need a schematic, or at least the best diagram you can produce, of how you wired it. Be sure to include the manufacture and part number of the relay and exactly the pins you used..

The included information on how to wire it would be helpful but absolutely essential is that you trace your wires and draw exactly what you actually did. In the process, you may solve the problem yourself. If not, we can help.

KM2022

Joined Apr 12, 2022
Hi, I've attached a diagram below of the wiring, which follows what I've done.
The relay is a 60A 12VDC RELAY-4PIN-OPT from STEDI.
I am using a harness purchased from the manufacturer STEDI Part No. WIRQKFT-HIBEAM

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Unfortunately, the devil is in the details and they just aren’t in that wiring diagram. The connector at the base of the relay has holds the secrets of how they’ve wired this up and it’s just an illustration.

Flying blind, I would have guessed the switch was between the high beam signal and the relay’s coil in order to avoid switching the high current which the relay is there for.

Do you have a DMM? You‘ll need to check where power is—and isn’t—in various conditions.

You should see battery voltage at the relay terminals connected to the battery. You hear a relay click but checking the high beam signal at the relay is still worth the trouble. If power is present from the battery and the relay is in fact operating with the high beams, you need to work backwards from the lights.

Check the power at the lights. If there is power, they are the fault, if no power at the lights check the connector.

If there is power there the harness to the lights is the fault. If no power there, check the relay output.

If power there the harness between the relay and connector is the fault. If no power there, check the battery connection at the relay.

If power is there then the relay or the connector is the fault.

Unfortunately, I don’t know how the switch is connected so it could be the problem if the power is making it to the relay but not further.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
I'm not sure you're asking the right question - or more to the point - I think you may be confused about its operation. No, I'm not attacking your intelligence, just want to be sure you have the right understanding.

When the switch is OFF the light bar should never come on. When the switch is ON the light bar should only come on when the high beams are on.

Like Yaakov said; the details of the diagram are too vague to understand. Us electronics guys like schematics that show each and every wire and how it's interconnected with other components. Someone will come along and make a drawing based on your descriptions and the installation guide you posted. Right now I don't have drawing capabilities, otherwise I'd take a whack at it.