LED identification help please

SoFlaMK

Joined Apr 27, 2021
Hello, Could anyone please help me point me to a replacement for this mini high output red LED board? I really don't know where to find one and I have exhausted my efforts. It is a red navigation light from my 24' boat. The only option the manufacturer gave me is to replace the entire light assembly and they only offer them in complete pairs at over $150! This led board measures 23mm x 9mm and there was a tiny plastic lens over the light emitter itself before I poked at it and then it stopped working. I don't know much about electronics but can manage a little solder job like this. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Are you sure the LED is bad? I see a 51 ohm resistor with what looks like corroded connections on its leads. From my estimations the LED is rated maybe 2 or 3 watts.

SoFlaMK

Joined Apr 27, 2021
Thanks for the replies. I have good voltage at the wires after removing board. I think the resistor is ok. The light was working intermittently when poking at the board itself then stopped when the tiny lens popped off of it. I searched crees but only came up with assembled products. and no luck on "Cob". Not sure where to look for these type of individual components themselves. Seems like such a simple little board I really didn't expect it to be this difficult to replace. I'll keep at it tho, not giving up yet! Thanks

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Something like this might work from Newark, only $1.07.
1619549845079.png
XPEFAR-L1-0000-00601

High Brightness LED, XLamp XP-E Series, Red, 740 nm, 130 °, 1 A

SoFlaMK

Joined Apr 27, 2021
I looked at newark and digi-key and it looks like they would have the components to build it however my experience is limited and I was really hoping to find a replacement board as pictured. I really thought it would be a common item but obviously I was mistaken. At this point I think i'm gonna just find a less expensive light and swap the internals. $60 is better than $150. thanks again for the replies.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Have you looked for LED tail or stop lights for cars or trailers?
I'd also give them a good spray with clear varnish to try to keep the water out.

Here is some boat lights I found on Ebay
boatlights.png

SoFlaMK

Joined Apr 27, 2021
Someone from Ledsupply.com suggested using a dynasquare wired directly without a driver or resistor but i dont think it is bright enough. I see they also have "cree" chips as Dodgydave suggested but i'm not sure how it would perform if wired direct without a driver or resistor because The boat's 12v supply fluctuates. Would part of the job of the resistor shown in my pic be to help maintain constant voltage?

SoFlaMK

Joined Apr 27, 2021
Digi-Key has lots of boards (COB) around 10$ that would only need trimming to fit your original assembly.
Thank you Annie. I tried , but navigating through their website was somewhat overwhelming for me. I just do not have the experience to even find the individual parts much less build the board. I really thought I could find a replacement board assembled, similar to what I had.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
A few points. I don't know anything about boating law but it may not be legal to fit a different LED if the light fittings have to be type approved.
I think the resistor is 5.1 ohms. (Not 51 ohms as this would limit the current too much. The maximum power to a LED would occur when half the supply voltage was dropped across the resistor. So P = 6 x 6/51 = 0.7 watts which is too low.)
I think the board that the LED is mounted on is probably aluminium backed for heat sinking.
It looks like there are 2 surface mount resistors on the board so I think it would be worth checking them.
When you say the lamp was intermittent did it pulse on and off at fairly regular intervals or was it random ? I have seen LEDs fail pulsing on and off due to an internal connection breaking when they warm up and the connection making contact again as they cool down.

Les.

Last edited: