Led fading circuit

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nope. It was a noob error, but once started I was stuck.

How do you do this? It may be the solution if it inverts the board. The silk screen would still be a problem I suspect, but I could find cheating methods around those (or start from scratch).

I have source forge, and tried it, but it crashed.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I tried dropping the traces to the bottom, which would be necessary if you send this to the manufacturer to be made. It does nothing for the mirror image problem however.

You can move the silkscreen to the clip board, so that problem is solved.

I may try printing to source forge again, I got a later update for it.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Unfortunately, you used the default 0.010" trace width, so it's going to be hard to get a good transfer. I don't know any other way of changing the trace size than to select each trace segment one at a time, right-click on it, and select "Trace properties", then select a wider trace width. Don't think I'd go smaller than 0.030".
While holding SHIFT-key down, you can select multiple traces, right click, select trace properties, and select the desired width. Remember to hold the SHIFT-key down all time.:)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yep, that is what I'm trying to do. I'll try to duplicate your process.

I did get it to save as a PDF file this time. Guess I'll have to upload GIMP. I looked carefully at the PDF file in its native format (Adobe), no options for flipping there.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, but it's resolution sucks (96 DPI). Why they chose that really odd number I don't know (probably metric). You wouldn't believe the contortions I go through to make Paint PCB layouts, and for SMT fugetabutit. It is barely usable for this application.

I don't know if Gimp has the same limitations. I suspect it does, but I'll give it a try. I know PDF doesn't, and printers in general go to 600 DPI.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Yeah, but it's resolution sucks (96 DPI). Why they chose that really odd number I don't know (probably metric). You wouldn't believe the contortions I go through to make Paint PCB layouts, and for SMT fugetabutit. It is barely usable for this application.

I don't know if Gimp has the same limitations. I suspect it does, but I'll give it a try. I know PDF doesn't, and printers in general go to 600 DPI.
I found a setting in the properties of the PDF writer, that gave me the opportunity to write 1200 dpi. It was defaulted as 600...

I don't believe you can open PDF's or PCB's in MS Paint.:rolleyes:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, PDF creator has an option to also print out in .PNG format (and several others besides). This is almost usable, but not quite. It is the resolution issue I mentioned earlier, I shrunk it to less than 4% of its size for this image.

You probably notice I've done some other cleanup on it too.

I've brought this up before, I need a graphics package with much greater resolution. I'm remember Gimp also had that pukey 96 DPI, which is a PITA.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I made the traces wider, and re-routed a few things to eliminate running traces through lots of pads.

I renamed both files to have a prefix of "FadingBill"

Have a look.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks Wookie. I'd cleaned up the print I was working with, I'd used 002" instead of 0.04", and rounded all the right angles (there is a Masonic joke there somewhere).

I tried a different approach using Paint, using B&W only (the shading for lines was not good for etching). This is ugly, but it would work.

Lessons learned.

Unless I can find a better graphics package (something with higher than 96 DPI) this won't work well, it never will.

The PCB generator generates graphics that will work. If I use PCB Express I have to lay it out in mirror format. This isn't a big deal, unless I forget. There is no way to go back and mirror it, it has to be done from scratch.

Question for Brozids, were you planning on having this made professionally, or were you going to try it from scratch?

If you were thinking about sending the board off to be made, then it really needs some minor layout for two layer. I focused on single layer as if I were making it. The jumpers could be replaced with a top layer on the PCB print.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you use the toner transfer technique, it must be mirrored. It is fundamental to how the technique works. I have successfully used 0.01" traces with toner transfer, which is pretty decent.

Just for the halibut I may try making this board (etching that is) using the Paint compatible templates.

Or not, I just tried some measurements, something is not right. I've been staring at this too long, time for a break.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Bill,
Here's what the board I edited looks like:

I see now that I missed making some of the traces wider - by J1A, J4A, J4B, J5A. U4 pin 1 is a bit snug with the trace above it, too - other than that, it's not too bad.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Here is the problem, the image looks good on the large scale, but when you look closer it won't work. There are two problems, one the grey scale is a killer. You can't use it for a template.

The other is distance, the line shown will print to the dimensions shown, but you need it to be 0.6". The moment you size it down you get the uglies I showed earlier.

These are the reasons I'm working to get around graphics programs, I've fought the issues for literally decades. You can work around them a little, but the resolution issue is a stone cold killer. It isn't the printer, it has all the resolution you need and more. But for some reasons the cheap graphic programs use that 96 DPI. Even 150 DPI would fix it (I would like 300 DPI), but they don't exist.

You'll also note the pinch off issues around the pads. This is a function of gray scale.

If I were to draw this from scratch in Paint I could correct the problems. I have drawn templates within my PaintCAD to do this. But translations don't work well.

Attachments

Last edited: