LED dimmable, how to dim these LED G4 bulbs?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Given the choices I would buy LEDs designed for automotive / RV (Recreational Vehicle) use and just buy a dimmer along these lines. This way you know the LEDs are good for 12 to about 14.5 volts. Just make sure the dimmer is designed for a 12 volt plus input, like an RV.They are relatively inexpensive and simpler than building your own.

Ron

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
So those allied express sellers led bulbs, they are going to dim with that controller?
I really want a bright DC volt led bulb and these 6 watt bulbs are supposedly like a 50 watt halogen.

What is with the power choice of ac and dc from 10 to 20 volts? Looking at many bulbs it seems that makes them described as dimmable.

This was another option. Not specifically mentioned as dimmable. Can any led bulb dim with that wireless control?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/G4-...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.262.4cba3c00EEhPrh

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This is a 3014 standard surface mount LED. The lamps in your link use those mounted and packed in a glass envelop. The look like small sections of strip and also look to have their series resistors in place. They should work with any PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) LED controller. My point was with LED lighting as inexpensive as it has become I would just get lamps and controller designed for RV use as that way you have LEDs designed for the purpose. The 6 W DC 12 V lamps should work out fine using any generic 12 VDC controller. The controller I linked to is just a common PWM controller and all you need to make sure of is that the controller can handle the load and uses a 12 V input.

Ron

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC1...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.259.5eba3c00khgPDL

I found that same controller on allied express for a lot less money. Does have good reviews.
Does that remote dimmer dim to off with the controller? Well looking at remote, it seems to have a third power button.
Or do you have to turn the lamps on and off individually. I have 9 lights running on 12 volts each with their own switch in the base.

I also wonder what is the parasitic drain on the batteries. Or how about this, switch the power to the dimmer. Will it retain the prior dim setting? Even with an off-on toggle on the remote, it is going to use some battery power, maybe not much hopefully.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Before I forget, any dimmer is going to use some power. Nothing is 100% efficient. I really don't know how much power but I would guess not very much. A six watt LED will use six watts Running on 12 VDC you get 6 watts / 12 volts = 0.5 amp. That is for each LED. Likely when the 12 volts is increased the current will also increase. Two six volt lamps on for 1 hour will be about 1.0 amp hour.

The controller I linked to is merely an example. I do not have one but in your link the small button looks to be an On/Off button. As I mentioned earlier whatever controller/dimmer is chosen it needs to have adequate power rating. So if I have 10 LED lamps and each fixture draws a maximum current of 0.5 amps I have a 5.0 Amp current draw at let's say 12 volts so about 60 watts. I would likely look for a controller capable of 100 watts at 12 volts or in current about 8.3 amps just to leave a margin.

Ron

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Before I forget, any dimmer is going to use some power. Nothing is 100% efficient. I really don't know how much power but I would guess not very much. A six watt LED will use six watts Running on 12 VDC you get 6 watts / 12 volts = 0.5 amp. That is for each LED. Likely when the 12 volts is increased the current will also increase. Two six volt lamps on for 1 hour will be about 1.0 amp hour.

The controller I linked to is merely an example. I do not have one but in your link the small button looks to be an On/Off button. As I mentioned earlier whatever controller/dimmer is chosen it needs to have adequate power rating. So if I have 10 LED lamps and each fixture draws a maximum current of 0.5 amps I have a 5.0 Amp current draw at let's say 12 volts so about 60 watts. I would likely look for a controller capable of 100 watts at 12 volts or in current about 8.3 amps just to leave a margin.

Ron
Since I wont run more than 9 LED lights, all I have is 9 light fixtures, the linked one is good to use. I ordered it.

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Ok, I got these bulbs, did I get cheated??
I noticed while they are fairly bright, they seem less bright than I thought they ought to be.
I measured the current flow, and I get 0.1 amp when running at 12.8v dc.

That is like 1.3 watts, (12.8 times 0.1) , not anywhere close to 6 watts.
What is the truth here?20181011_221338.jpg

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Even Amazon may sell fakes, some people complain these 4 watt LED bulbs are not as bright.

https://www.amazon.com/product-revi..._next_3?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&pageNumber=3

I did notice running 2 bulbs in parallel, the current went to 0.2 amps and they had more light produced.
I did buy some G4 sockets, I could drill and mount 2 of them in the fixture.
I am kinda unhappy, it seems all these 12v dc bulbs are just not so good as the 120v AC Home Depot bulbs. Every name brand AC LED bulb actually has worked well, very bright, but DC LED bulb, I was burned a few years ago too.