LED digital road sign can you give me with first steps?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello all,

I've taken on board the overwhelming message from all your responses:

"Softly softly catch yee monkey"

and

"Baby steps"

How does this sound as a project, after first telling my uncle it's off until I do some R and D using a single 8×8 panel with a view to perfecting all the technologies and establishing the feasibility of scaling it up.

I'm quoting Mr Chips:

"Build it with smaller modular panels so that it will be easier to repair when one LED goes bad.
For example, each panel can be 8 x 8 LEDs.
3 x 6 panels will give you a pixel display of 24 x 48 pixels."

Any comments on that idea, friends?
Architecturally, I suggest you make your LED panels and drivers modular parts of the system. The full scale version will have prodigious power requirements and working that part out is going be it’s own problem.

If you are going to work on the software side of things first, be sure the interface between the processor and the LED drivers is quite distinct and high powered version could be swapped in without design changes to that side.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
Architecturally, I suggest you make your LED panels and drivers modular parts of the system. The full scale version will have prodigious power requirements and working that part out is going be it’s own problem.

If you are going to work on the software side of things first, be sure the interface between the processor and the LED drivers is quite distinct and high powered version could be swapped in without design changes to that side.
Okay thankyou Yaakov. Sounds very sensible advice