Least expensive path to market a wireless IoT device

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I want to make and sell a device with cellular IoT (data only) and Bluetooth capabilities. Can anyone comment on the least expensive path to certification for sale in the US market? For example, if I start with an FCC and provider certified cell module, such as this one from Digi, and an FCC certified Bluetooth module, such as this one from Rigado, I'm assuming that my final device will still need some sort of FCC certification before I can legally sell them. Can anyone comment on what the required certifications would be, and a rough discussion of the costs?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I am in the development and research phase for a BLE device. It's my understanding that even when you use an FCC certified module you will still need to make sure your device is within FCC guidlines and for unintentional RF. Best case is that the device passes first time so re-testing is not required. Must be done at FCC certified testing labs. Keep in mind this is just for the US market. Canada and EU need their own.

General Emissions test $1-5K... watch out for switching noise and power supplys
Intentional Radiation test $10-15K

Using certified FCC modules without modification you can get by with General Emission test.

There's a group that you have to register and pay to use the WiFi and BT logo and market as such also.

Here's some good info from the FCC site.
https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/rfdevice

I'm struggling with this because the project I have is really on the fence for being a micro niche/low volume and do not need this cost added to final BOM.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for the info. Ditto on mine, I'm funding it myself (and doing all the dev work) and hoping that the cost of certification doesn't sink the project..