learning to program uC32 which is PIC32 based Arduino compatible development board

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi,

I have an experience programming PIC18 in C using CCS Compiler. I wanted to learn how to program uC32 Arduino compatible PIC32 based development board. I can use either MPLAB IDE or MPIDE as compiler for uC32. I have no experience at all with either of these IDE's. Could you please guide me about which one would be a good choice? Thank you.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Any... The uC32 and the uC32 MAX are just dev boards.. The schematics are readily available.

You can use the XC32 compiler with MPLABX or the old MPLABIDE You can also use the free XC32++ as well.

BUT!!! You can also use the Arduino IDE to program as well.. There is a JASON file.. Once downloaded, ino sketches compile just like the AVR types... I use the uC32 MAX and I can run code direct..

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thanks a lot!

It's good to know that you have used uC32. As a matter of fact, I did find many posts by you about PIC32 and was even thinking about asking you directly. Anyway, it's good to know that I can use official Arduino IDE with uC32.

You wouldn't remember but once you helped me quite a bit to learn 8051; that was the first microcontroller I ever worked with! You also introduced me to a graphical IDE for 8051 which showed all the registers etc and it greatly eased my learning 8051 at that time.

Once downloaded, ino sketches compile just like the AVR types... I use the uC32 MAX and I can run code direct..
I think you mean to write "uno"?

Which IDE do you use? Is it Arduino IDE?

By the way, have you ever run into any problems while using Arduino libraries with uC32? The reason I'm asking you this is given below.

The following quoted text is from an old thread, https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/1903-uc32-shield/?do=findComment&comment=6454

Aside from these chipKIT shields the uC32 was designed to have the same shield pin out as the Arduino Uno therefore all compatible Arduino Uno shields should also fit on the uC32. The issue with this approach is that there will be no libraries readily available for the uC32 so you will either have to write your own libraries or port them over.
The text below is also saying something along the same lines that Arduino libraries are sometimes not compatible with PIC32.

Just be aware that the pic32 core is not up to date with all the last minute changes the Arduino team threw in going into Arduino 1.0 so view the pic32 more as a 0023 core. Also keep in mind that because the Arduino core code is so limiting, and slow in some cases, that many libraries are stepping outside the "Arduino" environment and talking directly to AVR registers. This makes the code non portable and hence will not work on the chipkit boards.
Source: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=132747.msg999134#msg999134

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
You wouldn't remember but once you helped me quite a bit to learn 8051; that was the first microcontroller I ever worked with! You also introduced me to a graphical IDE for 8051 which showed all the registers etc and it greatly eased my learning 8051 at that time.
Of course I do.... I watch many of your threads.... If someone is helping you, I just watch..

ino is the sketch extension of Ardino IDE.. Uno is a uC32 board or an Arduino dev board...

Both systems have been used... I have a chipkit 32 running on MicoC one on MPLABIDE and one on the Arduino IDE.

I try and keep my hand in for all systems... I have the professional version of MicroC for pic32.. But for simplicity the Arduino is VERY easy..

As far as the last comment... Never had an issue... I have downloaded the latest IDE and JSon files and it compiles fine, runs fine too.

However! You cant beat XC32 as I like to write EVEYTHING.. Do not use Harmony! Unless you are a true newbie..

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
As for Harmony V3 on PIC32 devices you can use the PLIB (Chip Support Package (CSP) ) section for device initialization without using the total framework as there can be a lot of boilerplate code needed for the simplest project.

https://github.com/Microchip-MPLAB-...-your-first-peripheral-library-(PLIB)-project
The purpose of this tutorial is to show you how to use MPLAB® Harmony 3 to create a simple “heartbeat” LED application that flashes an LED using the MPLAB® X IDE and the MPLAB® Harmony Configurator (MHC). As a bonus, you can reuse the heartbeat LED application in future projects as a simple indicator of system health.
This tutorial focuses on direct use of MPLAB® Harmony peripheral libraries to build an application. If you are interested in using interoperable MPLAB® Harmony drivers, services, or middleware in your application, please see “Creating Your First Project – Harmony” when you’ve finished with this tutorial.
https://microchipdeveloper.com/harmony3:pic32mx470-getting-started-training-module
https://microchipdeveloper.com/harmony3:start

Last edited: