Learning to choose hardware for my engineering project....

rmeghdies

Joined Nov 7, 2011
So for my fourth year engineering project I am building a car security system.

Budget ~ $1000 total

I am looking to use an ARM processor and a development board to interface with the following:

Motion Sensors - I want to be able to detect and track the behavior of multiple people and log the information on a server
Accelerometer - I need to be able to detect if an individual is striking a window or door while alarm is on
Camera - Transmit images to server (and maybe a compressor)
Servo - To turn the camera to the person
Wireless Module - So I can transmit (I don't know if I need anything else to transmit)
Voice Recognition - To be able to unlock system and give commands
There are a few more devices but these are the essentials...
A Development Board that allows me to interface everything
A Processor that can handle the load...

Right now I'm not sure where to start in terms of finding hardware to meet my specifications.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Whether your recommending actual hardware, or helping me learn to find the hardware on my own.

I went onto Digikey to look for a development board, but there were THOUSANDS!
I started going through one by one, and didn't really know what to even look for.

Thanks in advance.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
What embedded microcontroller/microprocessor design experience have you had to date?

What programming language have you used?

hgmjr

rmeghdies

Joined Nov 7, 2011
Programming languages: C, Assembly, and Java are my strong points but I know about 10 more.

Experience:
I have hands on experience working with the Motorola HCS12 coding primarily with assembly, interfacing with various sensors (accelerometer, temperature, light...) and devices (LCD, keypads...)
I also have experience working with the Arduino environment doing hobby work there.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I've also studied RS-232, networking (coding in a Linux environment), and 7 years of programming experience. I've got a range of experience, but have never been taught how to go about a project like this. So I'm excited to learn :)