Learning Electronics Resources

nn_in

Joined Apr 14, 2009
Does anybody have both the books to comment on comparison.1)Electronics Technology Fundamentals/Conventional Flow Version Third Edition by Robert T. Paynter and B.J. Toby Boydell
2)Introductory Electronic Devices and Circuits: Conventional Flow Sixth Edition by Robert T. Paynter
Are there any differences in content between the above two book.?
From what i can gather from sites is "Electronic Technology covers AC/ DC topics also.
Any guidance appreciated.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Can you share the approach used ?
Publishers require a minimum number of changes before they'll print a revision. By that definition, 3 revisions would entail significant changes.

I don't have the books, but the revision histories might be available from the publisher.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Does anybody have both the books to comment on comparison.1)Electronics Technology Fundamentals/Conventional Flow Version Third Edition by Robert T. Paynter and B.J. Toby Boydell
2)Introductory Electronic Devices and Circuits: Conventional Flow Sixth Edition by Robert T. Paynter
Didn't realize you were talking about different revisions of *different* books. The books should have very significant differences, even if they were from different publishers.

I'd go to the publisher websites and see if they made the table of contents available for both books.

nn_in

Joined Apr 14, 2009
Didn't realize you were talking about different revisions of *different* books. The books should have very significant differences, even if they were from different publishers.

I'd go to the publisher websites and see if they made the table of contents available for both books.
Thanks.
Infact i have read amazon review and also visited publishers website before posting here. Not much info.Today written to the college St. Louis Community College at Forest Park but i dont expect a reply as i could not find the the authors there.
If there any Prof's on this forum maybe they can also help.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Is there a reason why you are wanting to compare those two specific texts?

The fact that they feel the need to include "conventional flow" in the title is a big red flag for me that the text is not going to be targeting an engineering level audience. That may or may not be a good thing from your perspective.

nn_in

Joined Apr 14, 2009
Is there a reason why you are wanting to compare those two specific texts?

The fact that they feel the need to include "conventional flow" in the title is a big red flag for me that the text is not going to be targeting an engineering level audience. That may or may not be a good thing from your perspective.
Thank You.
Conventional or electron flow IMO does not make a difference.
The reason for asking is over the years after collecting a number of std textbooks for electronics its evident that a collection is needed to learn concepts to do DIY analog design and offcourse building circuits .After the cookbook stage the interest in groundup design increases depending on a person's interest.Some authors tend to explain some concepts better than others.At this time only as a hobby/interest iam looking to design stereo/discrete/solid state/dual supply amp.Yes there are dedicated blogs .However building from groundup is very different.Websites like allaboutcircuits are valuable as it has "bridge" information to fill in the gaps. I aim to post the list of books (most would be known)...some unknown Eg (Fundamentals of Electronics 2Ed by Norman Lurch;Note that 1Ed by this author has mostly tubes/valves.I would recommend folks sticking to 2Ed).This 2Ed book may not be in publication but has a approach with many waveforms compared to other texts.
Another one is i recently got the 1Ed of a practical introduction to electronic circuits by martin hartley jones.This is another great author who has designed and run tech companies and the way subject is approached is different. I think 3rd Ed with micros would be better.

nn_in

Joined Apr 14, 2009
Just received print ver of the (7e) of Introductory Electronic Devices and Circuits: Conventional Flow Sixth Edition by Robert T. Paynter
After reading a few pages in BJTs .The author is very detailed in the approach . I think this author is one of the hidden gems who may not get that much reviews. I also have Floyd,Boylestad and David Bell.

I shall try a source a used ver. of the authors Electronics Technology Fundamentals/Conventional Flow Version Third Edition by Robert T. Paynter and B.J. Toby Boydell

Thanks.

nn_in

Joined Apr 14, 2009
Electronics ckts fundamentals and applications is another concise beginners book ,Depending on the country you may get the 3rd or 4edition.