LCD Laptop screen light help

rory_malone

Joined Mar 31, 2020
Hello everybody,

I have been toiling away with a laptop screen that I salvaged trying to wire it up to use the LCD screen as a light. All of the videos I find online explaining how to do this reference pads that I cannot find on the back of my screen (eg.PWM / LED_ON / VLED ). I am really at a loss what to do, all of the pads on the back of my screen have not been referenced in any of the videos I have looked at and I cannot find the data sheet of the screen anywhere online, If anyone would be able to help me with this I would be very grateful. I am attaching a photo of all the pads on the back of the screen. and the model number is ltn121xj-l05.

Thank you very much,

Rory

Attachments

scorbin1

Joined Dec 24, 2019
If all your trying to use is the backlight, you should be able to provide the correct power to the inverter and it should come on. Usually this is outboard of the LCD, at least it was in the past. Been a little while since I have had one apart and things could definitely have changed since then. Although looking through the specs for these here it looks like this is still the case. Should be a 2 pin connector and it's looking for 565V@60KHz. That means there has to be an inverter external to the LCD panel. You will need this inverter and should be able to apply a small voltage to the input of it to turn on the backlight. What voltage exactly would depend on the inverter but I am GUESSING it is probably somewhere around the battery voltage.

rory_malone

Joined Mar 31, 2020
Yes there is two wires coming out the bottom a pale blue one and a white one (pictured). I have tried giving this 5V and 9V but it didnt even blink. Do you think that it will only switch on with the exact 5.65V from an inverter. Would i be able to buy a separate inverter and use that do you think ?

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The LCD screen needs an AC supply at a specific frequency from the inverter. You may need to find a datasheet for the screen.

rory_malone

Joined Mar 31, 2020
As scorbin 1 said , on the website its says 565V@60KHz, I'm really not too sure what this means, do I need to buy a inverter with these specs ?

scorbin1

Joined Dec 24, 2019
If you still have the laptop that you scavenged the panel from you can always use it. Already matched up. It is usually just inside one of the hinges and usually isn't built into the mainboard.