LCD header file

Yeti

Joined Jul 26, 2005
I posted this in the Micro forum because I am using the LCD with a microcontroller. My question is software based though, so if the post needs to be moved I'm sorry. here goes: *edit 2 questions
I recently got a LCD that I want to use on a bread board that has a PIC & 4x4 keypad already in working status(from class last semester). I have seen a LCD used before where Hello World is printed. I know that a Header file must be included in the program otherwise the LCD wont work.
1) Can all LCD's use a standard header file, or do I need to create one using the Instructions section of the datasheet?

2) If a standard header doesn't work, is it easy to create the header file using the datasheet?

This is the data sheet for the LCD I have:
http://www.hnqhlcd.com.hk/lcm/lcd_datasheet/UC202A-YP-FB-N-LB-YG.pdf

Thanks
-Yeti

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Electrically, LCD's require an AC voltage applied, and then the other lines taken high or low to run the display.

The header file to which you refer has to do with the assembly language program that controls the PIC. While the PIC may read the keypad and display on the LCD, the header file has no function in this process.

Yeti

Joined Jul 26, 2005
I'm a little confused now. Is all that I need a DC power supply and a Micro with code to actually send something to display on the screen? Or do I actually have to get a AC supply also(I saw the "AC characteristics" section for reading and writing data):confused:
If the code I will be using is in C, will I not have to have a #include<LCD.h> ,or something of that nature, that defines the functions of the LCD?

Yeti