LCD 3.5" ILI9486 TFT Display, quick questions

Robin66

Joined Jan 5, 2016
Hi, I'm upgrading the screen on my project from 2.8" screen (top) to the 3.5" screen (below, intended for arduino uno). I can't find a datasheet for the 3.5" module anywhere but there are lots of these modules about. Can anyone who's had experience with the 3.5" module see anything wrong with my observations/plan? I'm designing the pcb now so I'm trying to foresee any problems upfront.
  1. I'm pretty sure ILI9486 drives the 3.5" screen. I can put the chip in 8bit PMP mode and use D0-D7 as inputs which'll improve my throughput significantly
  2. The 3.5" is missing explicit LED backlight inputs, but I've connected 3.3V and the screen lights so I plan to control it with ILI9486 commands
  3. The 3.5" is missing explicit touchscreen outputs. The 2.8" module has a xpt2046 controller but the 3.5" screen has analog outputs for touch control. I've verified their location using an oscilloscope so I can use an ADC to detect touch.
  4. The 5V pin can be left unconnected. I don't think I need this since I know the backlight sources from 3.3V.

tft.jpg

Robin66

Joined Jan 5, 2016
Thanks a lot. This is really useful. I've seen only extracts of the linked datasheet copy/pasted into ebay pages.

Robin66

Joined Jan 5, 2016
Do you happen to know if the 5V connection is optional? the datasheet says 3.3V is optional, but not the same about 5V.