Layman in desperate need of help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugg60

Joined Aug 24, 2014
Hi guys.

I've registered on here as I have an electronics problem which has been driving my crazy for the past 2 weeks and I'm sure you lot would be able to tell me where I am going wrong.

Here goes.
So, I have a 12v battery which I trying to reduce the voltage on down to around 9.6v. I have been told all I need to do is buy a 3.9v zener diode and to connect it up in series and in the reverse bios (I've been learning! Lol) anyway, I brought the diode off eBay and connected up but I only seem to be getting a drop of around 1v. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what. :confused:

I tried the diode in the forward bios and only had around .2v drop.

Also, I have read but not really understood some websites saying zener diodes with resisters. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. It's would be much appreciated.

Here's a link to the diode I have brought.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zener-Dio...mponents_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item256f83f60f

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hey Nuggs. I dunno what is going on with the diode because I dunno what you connected it to?

One end is a 12V battery, fine. What does the other end go to? What are you trying to power?

(And it's "bias" not "bios". :D )

Nugg60

Joined Aug 24, 2014
Hey Nuggs. I dunno what is going on with the diode because I dunno what you connected it to?

One end is a 12V battery, fine. What does the other end go to? What are you trying to power?

(And it's "bias" not "bios". :D )

Haha, sorry Bias! Obvious I still have a lot to learn. :D

The other end of the diode is connected to a motorcycle ECU.

Bit of background info.

The ECU requires a 9.6v signal in order to fire up the fuel pump. I don't want to post up to much detail about which bike etc, but it's basically a safety feature to stop thief's hot wiring the bike. The reason I'm doing this is to get rid of the key system on my race bike.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

This also apllies to bikes.