Laws of Mathematics and Science

flubbo

Joined Apr 21, 2008
In all fairness, I think the chimps should be coerced into drinking beer and smoking pot. That would even the playing field a little.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
BEEP : Rub your hands together real fast,feel the heat.Take your axe split an atom.
(LOOSEWIRE) Dave,don"t use loosely so loose.

sax1johno

Joined Oct 20, 2007
When you boil it down, math is simply a method for measuring and manipulating patterns. Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, etc, all start with basic counting. We're mostly taught to count and manipulate math in the base 10 number system, but other systems do exist. We can extrapolate the math from these systems based on how we count in those systems.

Put another way, math is a layer of abstraction. We develop science based on our observation, and then develop mathematical systems for reproducing the patterns we observe.

An interesting lecture on abstraction layers can be found on the MIT Open Courseware site in the 6.001 course by Anant Agarwal. It's an excellent lecture on abstraction layers that not only applies to engineering, but to all of the disciplines of science (except maybe political science -- ;-)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
An interesting lecture on abstraction layers can be found on the MIT Open Courseware site in the 6.001 course by Anant Agarwal. It's an excellent lecture on abstraction layers that not only applies to engineering, but to all of the disciplines of science (except maybe political science -- ;-)
I can't find that at MITOpenCourseWare. Do you have a link?

Dave

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Dave,I put M.I.T.( mit ) into google search ,first choice was MIT the
second choice was (Free On line course material-mit open courseware)
click on second choice.You will have MIT home page ,click on course,s.
You will see a list to select from,chose(Electrial Engineering and computer science) there you will see 6.001.
LOOSEWIRE

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave,I put M.I.T.( mit ) into google search ,first choice was MIT the
second choice was (Free On line course material-mit open courseware)
click on second choice.You will have MIT home page ,click on course,s.
You will see a list to select from,chose(Electrial Engineering and computer science) there you will see 6.001.
LOOSEWIRE
Thanks Loosewire, got it.

Dave