Laser Diode Driver - How to increase current

viswapravin

Joined Mar 16, 2016
I have designed a laser diode driver circuit with LM317. I powered with a 9V battery. I am getting Vout as 4.6V and 37mA. But the actual specification of the diode is 1.7V and 40mA. How to reduce the voltage without changing the current.?
upload_2016-5-18_14-5-36.png
I used R1 = 330Ohm and R2 = 100Ohm.
Please suggest

Chardi

Joined Oct 3, 2015
I'm pretty sure that if you add a potentiometer or a resistor of the right value (using basic Ohm's Law), you can drop the voltage to 1.7V and keep the current constant.

Remember, current stays constant in series!

*That's if you're only going to exclusively add a laser diode at the output of your Vout

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi vis,
The circuit you have posted is for a voltage regulator.
Look at the datasheet for the LM317, it shows a constant current source circuit.
E

Attachments

viswapravin

Joined Mar 16, 2016
hi vis,
The circuit you have posted is for a voltage regulator.
Look at the datasheet for the LM317, it shows a constant current source circuit.
E
I have a doubt. I tried with LM317 constant voltage source circuit. How should I power the circuit with the battery? I mean what should be the minimum voltage and current ratings of the battery to obtain 1.7V and 0.47mA as output ..?

jjw

Joined Dec 24, 2013
I have a doubt. I tried with LM317 constant voltage source circuit. How should I power the circuit with the battery? I mean what should be the minimum voltage and current ratings of the battery to obtain 1.7V and 0.47mA as output ..?
Did you use the circuit in msg#10
You have specified three different operating currents.
In msg#1 40mA, in the datasheet in msg#7 72mA and msg#11 47 mA.
Do you know which is correct and what are the minimum and maximum currents?
With R1 = 27 ohm, the current is 46.5mA.
LM 317 needs at least 5V input voltage to get 1.7V
With the constant current circuit you don't have to worry about the laser diode voltage.

viswapravin

Joined Mar 16, 2016
Did you use the circuit in msg#10
You have specified three different operating currents.
In msg#1 40mA, in the datasheet in msg#7 72mA and msg#11 47 mA.
Do you know which is correct and what are the minimum and maximum currents?
With R1 = 27 ohm, the current is 46.5mA.
LM 317 needs at least 5V input voltage to get 1.7V
With the constant current circuit you don't have to worry about the laser diode voltage.
I gave the link by mistake. But actual specification shows, threshold current - 37mA and operating current 47mA and maximum current as 55mA with operating voltage = 1.7V. So I chose the current value in between threshold and operating current value.