laptop screen for desktop use

Jacquesl

Joined Dec 9, 2006
Will it be possible to take my old screwed-up laptop screen out and make a flap panel screen that I can plug into a VGA plug on my desktop?
RIMG0003.jpg

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
If you are meaning using a standard LCD monitor with a 15 pin VGA plug, and pluging it into the corresponding socket on your Laptop....can't see why not... assuming there are no other issues with your laptop, and it is configured to output to an external monitor.

Jacquesl

Joined Dec 9, 2006
The laptop is basically screwed “it’s a old laptop with a messed up VGA output plug” but there might be a possibility that the screen might work ok, I want to take the LCD screen out and put a VGA plug on it and make a small homemade flat panel screen, but I don’t have any idea about the pin outs of all those yellow input wires. Those white red and black are the power for the back light

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Nah, that isnt gonna work as the laptop doesn't link to its own screen via VGA. It would be pointless to convert the video data to VGA then back to pixel data at the screen, so the laptop addresses the screen pixels directly. Thats why you will find the screen is conected to the motherboard Not with a 15 way connector, but with a large number of contacts in 1 or more flexible flat connectors.