Laplace Transform

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I agree with Dave that the Wikipedia website is a good source of material on Laplace transforms. However, it is best if you use a bit of caution when reviewing its content on the subject. Wikipedia is a fantastic experiment in sharing knowledge. It is, however, a work in progress. As such, it is best if you make sure that you compare the content from other reference material on the subject before completely accepting the material on the Wikipedia website. The other references that Dave has mentioned will serve as good sources or material for use in validating the material you find on Wikipedia.

I hope you don't think my assessment of Wikipedia is too harsh, Dave?

hgmjr

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by hgmjr@Dec 14 2005, 12:32 AM
I agree with Dave that the Wikipedia website is a good source of material on Laplace transforms. However, it is best if you use a bit of caution when reviewing its content on the subject. Wikipedia is a fantastic experiment in sharing knowledge. It is, however, a work in progress. As such, it is best if you make sure that you compare the content from other reference material on the subject before completely accepting the material on the Wikipedia website. The other references that Dave has mentioned will serve as good sources or material for use in validating the material you find on Wikipedia.

I hope you don't think my assessment of Wikipedia is too harsh, Dave?

hgmjr
[post=12435]Quoted post[/post]​
Certainly not. I think that Wikipedia, like any resource on the Internet should be treated with appropriate caution. You may be interested in an article on the BBC which compared Wikipedia to Britannica: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4530930.stm (if you can't read this site from outside the UK, let me know).

Specifically, the Wikipedia article about Laplace Transforms is IMO a good starting point from which to obtain a grounding in the subject. Personally, from when I was learing about Laplace Transforms I used the Kreyszig book (mentioned above) and the Signals and Systems book by Oppenheim and Willsky along with structured lectures as part of my degree.

I think the important thing to note, is that in an open forum, such as this, we must try to provide resources that the OP then has the discretion to analyse and use as they require. It is also important that at the same time different forum members contribute and make comments and critcisms in response to other peoples posts - this thread is a good example of that. :)

Dave

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by Dave@Dec 19 2005, 06:44 PM
Certainly not. I think that Wikipedia, like any resource on the Internet should be treated with appropriate caution. You may be interested in an article on the BBC which compared Wikipedia to Britannica: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4530930.stm (if you can't read this site from outside the UK, let me know).

Dave
[post=12577]Quoted post[/post]​
Dave,

I was successful in pulling up the article to which you linked. It was very interesting to see the results of the comparison between Britannica and Wikipedia.

I often consult wikipedia fairly early in my research into a given topic to see what information it contains. I am frequently surprised to find topics which to me seem very esoteric are covered in the wikipedia.

As more people encounter wikipedia and contribute to its content I have to imagine that the accuracy of the infromation will get better.

hgmjr