laplace transform of time shifted function(t+T)

hamza324

Joined Jul 10, 2011
Hello,

Is this question just a curiosity or did it arise from some physical situation or test question?
It was just a question in my homework assignment.
The question was simply as: find the laplace tranform of the above mentioned function.
I will post the answer here when i get the right solution.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you are using a single sided transform, the (non-zero) transforms only exist for those portions of a waveform that are present for t > 0-.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You might see what it is by simply applying the definition of the one-sided Laplace transform to a unit impulse that occurs prior to t = 0.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
WBahn is correct.
If you are doing single sided transform, from 0- to positive infinity, then the impulse function you have does not meet causality requirement and you can not use time shifting property of Laplace Transform.

However, if your interval is from negative infinity to positive infinity, then you can simply apply the definition and find answer mathematically.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
It was just a question in my homework assignment.
The question was simply as: find the laplace tranform of the above mentioned function.
I will post the answer here when i get the right solution.
Hi,

Ok thanks.

We might also need some proof to go with that. I mention this because the definitions i see all state the same thing, that for the constant (usually given as 'a') it has to be greater than or equal to zero, and it is subtracted as in f(t-a), so f(t+a) with 'a' positive or f(t-a) with 'a' negative would not meet the requirement for the time shift theorem. I'm still open to new ideas though so see what you can dig up.
It could be that if we do it one way we get -e^-as and if we do it another way we get +e^-as. I wont press this point just yet though.

Last edited: